PyQt On A Windows CE Computer Possible?

• I am researching whether or not to use Python and PyQt to make an application for a low powered computer that has Windows CE installed and I was wondering if it is even possible.
    I was told by someone that I was better off using C++ and regular Qt and that even Java can't run reliably on a Windows CE OS.
    I have more experience in Python and Java than in C++ which is why and wanted to avoid C++.
    I also hear C# with Microsoft's Visual Studio is a good choice for Windows CE development, but I have zero experience in C#.

So, would your advice be to stick with Python and PyQt, switch to C++ because PyQt won't work, or learn C# to use Visual Studio tools made by Microsoft themselves?

Thank you for any help and advice you can give.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

AFAIK, there's no official port of Python for that platform. Since you also mention low powered, it's definitely a vote for C++.

• @SGaist Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure before if there was PyQt support or not. Now I know. I will look into brushing up on my C++ then.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

PyQt has nothing to do with that. Python itself is not there.

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi
    if you are used to Python + PyQt then c++ wont look that different as im no
    python user at all, but i can still read most PYQt code directly so i think its a
    huge plus compared to learning c# and its GUI framework.

• @mrjj said in PyQt On A Windows CE Computer Possible?:

if you are used to Python + PyQt then c++ wont look that different as im no
    python user at all, but i can still read most PYQt code directly

The problem isn't reading Python/PyQt code correctly, it's writing it correctly!

@paulgc
    Are you saying you do or do not have experience with Qt versus Microsoft frameworks?

• Qt Champions 2016

@JonB
    Hi
    My point was that the opposite should also apply. Seeing c++
    samples should also read a bit like Python version. ( with a lots of Self thrown in)

• @mrjj
    And hi to you too!
    My point is: I find writing in Python is quite a bit different from C++. It's not a problem understanding other language examples, it's choosing which language you write the code in.
    OP said:

I have more experience in Python and Java than in C++ which is why and wanted to avoid C++.

• Qt Champions 2016

Yeah i assume for all the non Qt stuff , it will be very different.
    Python would be his best bet but seems the CE python is very old.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce/files/

• @JonB Sorry for the late reply. I have more experience with Java Swing and a little with tkinter. A coworker recommended Qt as he has worked with it a lot, but I just don't know how to get it to compile to a Windows 7 Embedded target. I am still trying to get a simple Qt example to compile and run on Windows 7 Embedded and can't seem to find the right compiler in Qt Creator. Also, Visual Studio 2008 Professional is not easy to find.

• Moderators

@paulgc said in PyQt On A Windows CE Computer Possible?:

can't seem to find the right compiler in Qt Creator. Also, Visual Studio 2008 Professional is not easy to find.

Did you install any compiler? QtCreator should auto-detect MS compilers. You can check in QtCreator in "Tools/Options.../Build & Run/Compilers".
    To build Qt you do not need QtCreator.

• @jsulm I used the QtSerialport example and compiled it with as a release. I went into that folder and put it on a flashdrive. The executable worked once I put a bunch of dlls and the include folder in the same folder as the release folder that I copied to a flashdrive. I used the Desktop Qt 5.6.3 minGW 32bit2 kit, but I don't know the specifics of compiling to a target system that the application wasn't built on. And I have zero experience with Qt, which makes me even more lost.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.