(solved) Creator 2.6.2 getting error message on startup (Mac OS X)

• Specifically, plugin loader messages saying it can't load Help and UpdateInfo.

Details for help message:

bq. /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib: Cannot load library /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib: (dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib, 5): Symbol not found: _kCFWebServicesProviderDefaultDisplayNameKey
    Referenced from: /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/../../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
    in /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/../../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit)

Details for UpdateInfo message:

bq. Plugin initialization failed: Could not determine location of maintenance tool. Please check your installation if you did not enable this plugin manually.

Regarding the help message, I'm not sure I know what it means by a symbol, but the file /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib is definitely present.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.

EDIT: the help error message has magically gone away, but I'm still getting the UpdateInfo message.

• Hi,

Same problem over here. Tried disabling the firewall but to no avail.
    Got it working at work, though, no problem there... Windows 7 in both places.

• Any ideas, anyone?

• Moderators

Is a problem when you are starting qt creator?

When yes, your title is perhaps a bit misleading and should be adjusted.

• Better?

• Moderators

Yes, much BETTER ;-)

I think it fits more into "tools" then. Going to move it.

• [quote author="mzimmers" date="1359734460"]Specifically, plugin loader messages saying it can't load Help and UpdateInfo.

Details for help message:

bq. /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib: Cannot load library /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib: (dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib, 5): Symbol not found: _kCFWebServicesProviderDefaultDisplayNameKey
    Referenced from: /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/../../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
    in /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/../../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit)
    [/quote]

You are trying to run the stock Qt Creator binaries on Mac OS X 10.6, which is no longer supported (you can still compile and run Qt Creator on 10.6, but our binary packages do no longer work).

[quote author="mzimmers" date="1359734460"]Details for UpdateInfo message:

bq. Plugin initialization failed: Could not determine location of maintenance tool. Please check your installation if you did not enable this plugin manually.

Regarding the help message, I'm not sure I know what it means by a symbol, but the file /Developer/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/QtProject/libHelp.dylib is definitely present.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.

EDIT: the help error message has magically gone away, but I'm still getting the UpdateInfo message.[/quote]

The UpdateInfo plugin shouldn't be enabled for the Qt Creator-only binaries in the first place, please go to "Qt Creator > About Plugins" in Qt Creator's menu, and turn it off.

• Thank you, Eike. That explains why the help error went away when I upgraded to 10.8.

Regarding the "About Plugins"...I have two entries for that in my menu. Any ideas why that is?

• [quote author="mzimmers" date="1363009526"]
    Regarding the "About Plugins"...I have two entries for that in my menu. Any ideas why that is?[/quote]

Because you are using Qt5 which has such a bug :)
    https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-8152
    All entries should just work correctly though.

• Thank you again, Eike.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.