Display issue with Qt application windows over SSH/X11
I'm attempting to use PyQt apps on a remote Linux server by SSH and X11 forwarding.
The application window is all black and unusable. Only the window's title bar exists to close it.
I believe it has to do with Qt and OpenGL over ssh/X11.
Using Windows 10, PuTTY, VcXsrv, and the PyQt apps are on a Linux OpenSUSE 42.3 host (nVidia drivers).
The apps work fine locally. More details follow:
I can display glxgears over ssh/x11 - not optimal, but at least displays.
1. Display issues with Spyder 3.2.8 & 3.3.0 with Qt/PyQt (5.9.4/5.9.2)
- Full issue description: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/7447
- Issue was closed since it is likely a Qt/PyQt problem.
- Spyder displays correctly over ssh/x11 when older versions of Qt/PyQt(5.6.2/5.6.0) are used
The PuTTY terminal displays following:
% spyder QQuickWidget: Failed to make context current QQuickWidget::resizeEvent() no OpenGL context QQuickWidget: Failed to make context current QQuickWidget: Failed to make context current QQuickWidget::resizeEvent() no OpenGL context QQuickWidget: Failed to make context current QQuickWidget: Attempted to render scene with no context QQuickWidget: Attempted to render scene with no context composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
2. Display issues with PyQt5 opengl examples from: https://github.com/baoboa/pyqt5
- However these examples even fail with qt/pyqt(5.6.2/5.6.0) over ssh/x11, not just (5.9.4/5.9.2)
- The non-opengl examples seem to work ok. (not black filled)
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to make context current QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1 QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints QPainter::translate: Painter not active QPainter::save: Painter not active QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active QPainter::setPen: Painter not active ... QPainter::restore: Unbalanced save/restore QPainter::setPen: Painter not active QPainter::setFont: Painter not active QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1 QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints
Any recommendations to try for #1 & #2?
- I tried pyqt 5.11.2 but with same results.
- environment variable settings?
3. qt5/pyqt5 performance degradation over ssh/x11
This maybe a separate topic all together, but I will likely notice performance degradation over ssh/x11
if it occurs. Based on previous posts I suspect it will.
Any idea if these changes will be in later versions of qt/pyqt? (To help with ssh/X11 performance)
Can anyone comments on these apps rather than the standard ssh w/x11 forwarding? (despite this ssh/x11 working fine for years for several Qt applications)
Hi and welcome to devnet,
That's a topic you should rather bring to the interest mailing list. You'll find there Qt's developers/maintainers. This forum is more user oriented.
Thanks for recommendation.