Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to deal with anchoring while making a QML item Draggable?

• I have QML which host an image. I need to allow the user to pan the image. Basically be able to drag it around.

I figured that Drag QML type gives me this capability. It works as well using something like below:

MyQmlComponent {
        id: myqmlitem
        anchors.top: parent.top
        anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter

Drag.dragType: Drag.Automatic

MouseArea {
            anchors.fill: parent
            drag.target: myqmlitem

drag {
                axis: Drag.XandYAxis

onActiveChanged: {
                    console.log("Active changed..")

anchors.top = undefined
                    anchors.horizontalCenter = undefined
                    // I want to unset the anchors here and reset it back at a later stage. But how?
                }
            }
        }
    }

I figured the anchoring properties are coming in the way of my drag/pan feature. How should I deal with this? Are there any ways to set and unset the anchors? Doing the below doesn't seem to work.

anchors.top = undefined
    anchors.horizontalCenter = undefined

Basically, I want to unset the anchors when drag is active. And unset it at a later stage. Please suggest if there are other ways to deal with this as well..

• Moderators

@Roby-Brundle
    according to the docs assigning undefined to anchors is the correct way to reset them.

What is the exact behavior in your case?

• @raven-worx setting it to undefined doesn't help. I have the undefined set already in the code. it doesn't seem to work at all.
    Seems like the anchors i am trying to set and unset do not take affect on myqmlitem ?

• Moderators

@Roby-Brundle
    and i ask again (one last time):

What is the exact behavior in your case?

• @raven-worx The exact behaviour was that the default anchors which are the following

anchors.top: parent.top
    anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter

were not getting unset by doing setting it undefined. That means that myqmlcomponent remained anchored to top and horizontalCenter. if they were really getting unset then I would be able to drag myqmlcomponent to different X and Y coordinates.

But the good news is that I figured this out. I needed to refer to myqmlcomponent when setting it anchors to undefined. Like below:

onActiveChanged: {
        myqmlcomponent.anchors.top = undefined
        myqmlcomponent.anchors.horizontalCenter = undefined
    }

Now it works fine to unset or reset the anchors well