Qt Programming Language

• @Annabelle
    Well, I think you will have that problem with any of the IDE tools available as they all basically do things in the same way. Dragging and dropping GUI elements onto the screen is probably quite a difficult thing to with the assistance of a screen reader. You can however create GUIs without using the graphical interface designer by just programming them directly with code yourself. There is much more coding to be done but many people do it that way.

• @kenchan said in Qt Programming Language:

@Annabelle
    Well, I think you will have that problem with any of the IDE tools available as they all basically do things in the same way. Dragging and dropping GUI elements onto the screen is probably quite a difficult thing to with the assistance of a screen reader. You can however create GUIs without using the graphical interface designer by just programming them directly with code yourself. There is much more coding to be done but many people do it that way.

When I finish the code, I'm wondering what compiler I could use that would be completely accessible for me. Coding in C++ is what I'm learning through www.learncpp.com, and the IDE part is where I'm stuck in a rut.

• Moderators

@Annabelle said in Qt Programming Language:

Coding in C++ is what I'm learning through www.learncpp.com, and the IDE part is where I'm stuck in a rut.

Read my post from yesterday. Windows Narrator reads out the Alt menus for me. Does JAWS say anything when you press and release Alt, then press and release Tab in Qt Creator?

Also, what version of Qt Creator did you install? (You can check by pressing and releasing keys in this order: Escape, Alt, H, Q)

• @JKSH said in Qt Programming Language:

Coding in C++ is what I'm learning through www.learncpp.com, and the IDE part is where I'm stuck in a rut.

Read my post from yesterday. Windows Narrator reads out the Alt menus for me. Does JAWS say anything when you press and release Alt, then press and release Tab in Qt Creator?

Also, what version of Qt Creator did you install? (You can check by pressing and releasing keys in this order: Escape, Alt, H, Q)

Qt Creator 4.7.0 based on Qt 5.11.1 MSVC 2015. As for Windows Narrator, it announces most stuff as "Unknown" or "Unknown Key". What's up with that, I wonder?

• Moderators

Qt Creator 4.7.0 based on Qt 5.11.1 MSVC 2015.

OK, that's a good recent version.

As for Windows Narrator, it announces most stuff as "Unknown" or "Unknown Key". What's up with that, I wonder?

Do you mean Windows Narrator announces them as "Unknown", while JAWS doesn't announce them at all?

• @JKSH said in Qt Programming Language:

Qt Creator 4.7.0 based on Qt 5.11.1 MSVC 2015.

OK, that's a good recent version.

As for Windows Narrator, it announces most stuff as "Unknown" or "Unknown Key". What's up with that, I wonder?

Do you mean Windows Narrator announces them as "Unknown", while JAWS doesn't announce them at all?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

• Moderators

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

OK, I managed to load an old machine which runs Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, and I installed Qt Creator 4.7.0 on it. I launched the Microsoft Narrator that came bundled with Windows 7. I used its default settings: "Echo User's Keystrokes" and "Announce System Messages".

Here is what I did and what I heard:

1. When I launched Qt Creator, Microsoft Narrator said, "Window opened. Quartz Creator."
    2. When I pressed Alt, Microsoft Narrator said, "Alt. File. Menu Item. Menu key Alt plus 'F'. Menu bar with 8 items."

So Qt Creator 4.7.0 should be accessible to screenreaders on Windows 7. I can't understand why your copy of Microsoft Narrator only reads "Unknown".

In your community, are there any programmers or folks who are knowledgeable with computers? It could be worth getting their assistance. I'm afraid that our ability to help you through an online forum is quite limited.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.