SQL server for (Debian) Linux recommendation?

• Hi, all -

I'm on a tutorial (not one of the Qt ones) that tells me I need a SQL server and client. I figured I would check in to see if there was a particular product that is known to work well with Qt.

If no one has better ideas, I'm probably going to try this:

MySQL Community Server 5.7.17

This should take care of the server; I'm not sure yet what I'm going to use for the client.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You have mainly three choices for SQL servers; MySQL MariaDB and PostgreSQL. The second is a drop-in replacement of the first.

As for client, are you building a Qt application to talk with your database ?
    Otherwise, all DB server comes with a command line client.

• Hi, RGaist -

Thanks for the reply. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to be doing with this, other than completing the work in the tutorial(s). The tutorial is given on a Windows box and the author is using a GUI client, so I figured I'd better get one for myself.

I settled on MySQL for the server. It installed fairly cleanly. Unfortunately they don't have a Debian version of their client (called "Workbench") so I may have to build my own.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

IIRC you can grab MySQL Workbench as GUI (though I've never used so I can't comment on its usage).

• @SGaist
    @mzimmers

MysqlWorkbench is a cute tool, latest version is pretty stable on linux
    If you use latest mariaDB the workbench will tell you that it is not compatible with it, but i dont have any problems using it with mariaDB.

at https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/ you will find a download for ubuntu, maybe this .deb file works with debian too. if not, sorry you have to download the sources ;)

• @the_

Yes, the Ubuntu version seems to work. At least it launches. I can't connect, but that's not a problem for this forum.

Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Since you're on Linux, you don't need to grab an external package. Ubuntu already provides MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL.

• @SGaist : Ubuntu might provide that, but Debian doesn't. But no matter, because I have the server up and running. Now I just have to figure out why my GUI client doesn't connect even though the CLI client does.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.