Problem with data read from USB port

• Hello All,

I am new to Qt and I need your suggestions for my problem. I have a sensor connected to USB port and I want to read the data from the sensor. I tried with QSerialPort and I am getting some random values. Could anyone please advice me where I am going wrong. Below is my source code

#include "dialog.h"
    #include "ui_dialog.h"
    #include <QtSerialPort/QSerialPort>
    #include <QtSerialPort/QSerialPortInfo>
    #include <QDebug>
    #include <QString>
    #include <QMessageBox>

Dialog::Dialog(QWidget *parent) :
        QDialog(parent),
        ui(new Ui::Dialog)
    {
        ui->setupUi(this);

sensor = new QSerialPort(this); //sensor is included in header file as QSerialPort
        serialBuffer = ""; // included in header file as QString

qDebug() << "Number of ports: " << QSerialPortInfo::availablePorts().length() << "\n";
        foreach(const QSerialPortInfo &serialportinfo, QSerialPortInfo::availablePorts())
        {
            qDebug() << "Description: " <<serialportinfo.description() << "\n";
            qDebug() << "Has vendor id: " <<serialportinfo.hasVendorIdentifier() << "\n";
            qDebug() << "vendor id: " <<serialportinfo.vendorIdentifier() << "\n";
            qDebug() << "Has product id: " <<serialportinfo.hasProductIdentifier() << "\n";
            qDebug() << "prodcut id: " <<serialportinfo.productIdentifier() << "\n";
        }

bool sensor_is_available = false;
        QString sensor_port_name;

foreach(const QSerialPortInfo &serialportinfo, QSerialPortInfo::availablePorts())
        {
            if(serialportinfo.hasProductIdentifier() && serialportinfo.hasVendorIdentifier())
            {
                if((serialportinfo.productIdentifier() == sensor_product_id) && (serialportinfo.vendorIdentifier() == sensor_vendor_id))
                {
                    sensor_is_available = true;
                    sensor_port_name = serialportinfo.portName();
                }
            }
        }

if(sensor_is_available)
        {
            qDebug() << "Found the sensor port\n";
            sensor->setPortName(sensor_port_name);
            sensor->open(QSerialPort::ReadOnly);
            sensor->setBaudRate(QSerialPort::Baud9600);
            sensor->setDataBits(QSerialPort::Data8);
            sensor->setFlowControl(QSerialPort::HardwareControl);
            sensor->setParity(QSerialPort::NoParity);
            sensor->setStopBits(QSerialPort::OneStop);
            QObject::connect(sensor, SIGNAL(readyRead()), this, SLOT(readSerial()));
        }

else{
            qDebug() << "Couldn't find the correct port for the sensor.\n";
            QMessageBox::warning (this, "Serial Port Error", "Couldn't open serial port to sensor");
        }
    }

Dialog::~Dialog()
    {
        if(sensor->isOpen())
            sensor->close();
        delete ui;
    }

void Dialog::readSerial()
    {
        serialData = sensor->readAll(); // serialData included in header file as QByteArray
        serialBuffer += QString::fromStdString(serialData.toStdString());
        ui->textBrowser->setText(serialBuffer);

qDebug() <<serialBuffer;
        qDebug("stopped");
    }

The output which I am getting is as below :

"\r\u0014f\u0000@\np?>??>?V?>S&?\r\u0014f\u0000@\n?=?'?>?\u0005?>?$??\r\u0014f\u0000ve?????>?f|>????\r\u0014f\u0000ve?=??i>??C>????"
    stopped

I am still figuring out where I went wrong. I read somewhere that data from USB port can be read through serial port functions. Could anyone advice me on the above code?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

• the problem is here: serialBuffer += QString::fromStdString(serialData.toStdString());

how does your sensor encode the data?

• @VRonin The sensor is based on capacitive technology. Any change in capacitance gives corresponding values.

• @pj0909 said in Problem with data read from USB port:

values

This still does not answer my question. how are those values represented in binary format to the serial output? is it a 32 bit integer, a 64 bit double precision float, an ASCII encoded string?

• @VRonin Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. The answer to your question is 64 bit double precision float.

• Moderators

@pj0909 Then you should use http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qbytearray.html#toDouble without converting to string:

bool ok = false;
    serialBuffer += sensor->readAll().toDouble(&ok);
    if (!ok) // error

• To add to @jsulm, you should also check that serialData contains 64 and only 64 bits of data (i.e. serialData.size()==8) otherwise use QDataStream

void Dialog::readSerial()
    {
    QDataStream sensorStream(sensor);
    QVector<double> readValues;
    for(;;){
    sensorStream.startTransaction();
    double readValue=0;
    sensorStream >> readValue;
    if(sensorStream.commitTransaction())
    readValues.push_back(readValue);
    else
    break;
    }
    qDebug() << "data read: " << readValues;
    }

P.S.
    If your sensor sends the data in little endian order, you'll have to set the QDataStream byte order http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qdatastream.html#setByteOrder

• Qt Champions 2016

@pj0909 said in Problem with data read from USB port:

The answer to your question is 64 bit double precision float.

Then you need to read the data as binary, not as text! Something like this (warning: the code isn't really portable):

QDataStream in(&serialData, QIODevice::ReadOnly);

double value;
    in >> value;

• I will implement the suggestions in the code and will see the output from the sensor. Will let you all know if its working correctly or still there is a problem. Thank you for the suggestions.

• Finally I solved my problem. I set the floating point precision in addition to the suggestions given above and now I am reading the data as expected.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.