Unexpected CDB Exit

• Hello,

a little ago I've deinstalled Qt 5.6, removed possible leftover directories and installed the newest version 5.7 (Version: Visual Studio 2015 - 64bit)
    Expecting to hit a few difficulties, I had an issue right away, which I got fixed after deleting the toolchains.xml file as suggested in this post.

Now my problem is, that when trying to execute the code in debug mode - debug it (default hotkey F5) - I get instantly a very descriptive error.
    "Unexpected CDB Exit"
    "The CDB process terminated."
    Running it works fine, debugging not at all.

I have a totally empty project (default files) without changes - Qt Widgets.

I went through previous posts and google and can't seem to figure out a solution for this error.

alt text

Settings - Options:
    Kits - Desktop Qt 5.7.0 MSVC2015_64bit

Qt Versions - VS'15 - 64bit

Compilers Auto-detected from 12.0 and 14.0

(x86)
    (amd64)
    (x86_amd64)
    (x86_arm)
    (amd_64_arm)

Debuggers Auto-detected:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86\cdb.exe - and x64
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x86\cdb.exe - and x64

CMake Auto-detected @Default installation path

I hope someone's able to help me with this issue.

• Hi,
    I have the same error. Did you get a solution for that?

• I was getting this error yesterday. I found the the CDB version didn't match with the linked UCRT.

I'm using Qt 5.6 to develop my application I found that I need to manually link against ucrt like this

INCLUDEPATH += "C:/Program Files (x86)/Windows Kits/10/Include/10.0.10586.0/ucrt"
    LIBS += -L"C:/Program Files (x86)/Windows Kits/10/Lib/10.0.10586.0/ucrt/x64"

And I found that the CDB version need to match the ucrt version. So I am using CDB 10.0.10586.0 now and it is working.

• @dannox I did not find a fix for it yet, but I'm going to try @mcleary 's solution and reply if it worked.

• I have the same problem. I tried @mcleary 's solution but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

• I got the same error form. Finally found that some DLL needed is missing. You could click the exe file in DEBUG to find which DLL is missing.

• @bitlixi thanks for the hint, I indeed checked the .exe in debug folder. Turned out my Qt/bin folder had magically forgot Qt5OpenGLd.dll

• I had the same problem. I had incorrectly picked the x86 cdb version instead of the x64 version in configuring the kit.

• @mcleary
    Just for info: using -L before the library path string is wrong on my Windows 7 system with Qt 5.9.1.

• @Narada said in Unexpected CDB Exit:

I had the same error, and was using the cdb.exe from the Windows Kits\10\Debuggers subdirectory. If I use the one in the Debugging Tools for Windows (x64), I don't have the CDB Exit error.

All these versions are quite a mess...

0_1507700894517_cdb.exe.png

Nevertheless, debugging still doesn't work on my damn system, as it always crashes at any delete command!

• I had the same unexpected CDB Exit since Qt Creator version 4.3. In Qt Creator 4.2.2 CDB works just fine.
    The solution for me was uninstalling Python 2.7. It is still a work around for me, because I need Python 2.7 for compiling Qt WebEngine from source. Does somebody have a working solution for having Python 2.7 and Qt Creator 4.5 and CDB installed in parallel?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.