[SOLVED]: Hint about QSplitter

• Hello!
    I'm looking for some hints about the usage of QSplitter, from the user-experience perspective.

• it's possible to show a default "grab" simbol (i.e. the classic 3 dots) to inform the user this is a resizable item, and not just a frame?

• how to inform the user that "under here" there is a collapsed child? Well, the first issue is to detect which child is collapsed...it's not so trivial. Then I could of course use any widget to display a message, but I'm looking for a standard solution as you can see in any application which uses this type of items.

It's ok to use a third-part widget if it's worth to...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You can create you own subclass of QSplitterHandle and give it the look you would like.

Do you have an example of such "hint" for collapsed widgets ?

• I apologize for the delay!
    In every application with splitter/dockable/collapsable widget there is a something which inform the user that "here" there's something hidden.

In most applications (i.e. QtCreator, AVRStudio, Android Studio, just to say some) there is a "status bar" placed on the edge of the window where the widgets will collapse. So the user easily can show/hide them, and know they are there if not visible yet.

I know I can do all this stuff manually (but someone should explain me how to RELIABLY know if a QSplitter is collapsed regardless its location) anyway I hope there are some helps in the QtFramework.

EDIT: I've just seen the QDockWidget is closer to my needs. Anyway I still need to manully place something (i.e. a button) when the widget is closed to allow the users to reopen it.

• I've just seen the QDockWidget is closer to my needs. Anyway I still need to manully place something (i.e. a button) when the widget is closed to allow the users to reopen it.

It's quite simple, though. Just adding a toolbar and use the toggleViewAction() did the trick.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.