Cross Compiling with CMake

• Hi !

I would like to cross compile a Qt application using CMake from Linux to target a Windows platform. I installed successfully the mingw32 compiler on Linux, and I precised in the CMakeLists file to use this compiler instead of the well known g++, by setting the CMake variable CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.

Unfortunately, although the cmake $src work fine, the compilation fails totally, by reporting this error :

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5.2.1: error adding symbols: File in wrong format

I suppose the link with the Qt libraries doesn't match the expected Qt libraries for Windows build but the Linux ones.

I googled a solution to do this cross compilation but I didn't find anything relevant.

Could anyone please inform me on the way to perform this cross compilation using CMake ?

Thanks a lot !

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

The first thing you would have to do is cross-compile Qt with that compiler. Then you can recompile your application using that version of Qt

• Thanks for your fast answer.

In fact, I tried yesterday to compile Qt with that compiler, using :

./configure -xplatform win32-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-w64-mingw32- (is that correct ?)

but I have the following errors :

Warning: Disabling pkg-config since PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR is not set.
    Warning: Disabling pkg-config since PKG_CONFIG_SYSROOT_DIR is not set.
    STL functionality check failed! Cannot build Qt with this STL library.

It seems the two first lines are just warnings but the last line is an error.

I suppose I am not setting some variables when configuring Qt, but I have no idea what are the two first variables PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR and PKG_CONFIG_SYSROOT_DIR.

I tried this :

PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/lib ./configure -xplatform win32-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-w64-mingw32- -sysroot /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32

but I still have the same error about the STL.

Thanks a lot for your help !

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Did you restart configure from a clean state ?

• Hello !

Indeed, I was trying to compile the dirty sources.

But now I can go to the sudo make install step, and I have the following error :

${somewhere}/qtbase/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qt_windows.h:63:21:

Here is what I did :

tar -xzf qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.0.tar.gz
    cd qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.0
    PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/lib ./configure -v -xplatform win32-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-w64-mingw32- -sysroot /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32
    make -j 4
    sudo make install

Have I missed something ?

Thanks a lot for your help, it seems I'm close to the joy of cross-compiling, thanks to you !

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What's the error you are getting ?

• I haven't see the lack of the error above.

Here is the complete line with the error :

/home/gabriel/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.0/qtbase/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qt_windows.h:63:21: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or directory

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Are you sure you have that header installed on your computer ?

• Yes, the header windows.h is installed.

dpkg -S windows.h
    output >> mingw-w64-x86-64-dev: /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/windows.h
    dpkg -l mingw-w64-x86-64-dev
    output >> ii  mingw-w64-x86-64-dev (.*)
    ls -ltr /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/windows.h
    ...  /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/windows.h -> ../../share/mingw-w64/include/windows.h

and I precise to the configure script usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32 as sysroot.

Perhaps I missed an option of the configure script ?

Thanks a lot for your help, because I have to go on Windows to compile my Qt application for Windows, unfortunately, and I would like to have not.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Try adding (with the space)

-I /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/

to your configure call.

• I already tried this, and I had this error :

/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/malloc.h:209:18: error: expected declaration before end of line

Thanks a lot for your help !

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.