Relative Path Needed for db in SQLite

• The following code always crashes when it tries to open the database. If I give it a full absolute path it runs fine. I can't expect my users to all have the same path. So what gives? Thanks.

#include <QApplication>
    #include <QMessageBox>
    #include <QtSql>
    #include "mainwindow.h"
    #include "ui_mainwindow.h"
    QStringList db;

void load_db0(){

QSqlDatabase db_new = QSqlDatabase::addDatabase("QSQLITE");
    QString dbPath = QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath() + "/mydb.db";
    db_new.setDatabaseName(dbPath);
    db_new.open();

QSqlQuery query;
    if(query.exec("SELECT * FROM phictionphreak")){
        while(query.next()){
            db << query.value(0).toString();
        }

}

db_new.close();
    }

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Don't put that database in the application folder. Take for example Windows, normal users can't write to the application folder. What you should do is use QStandardPaths with QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation to retrieve a valid path to store that database. Doing so you'll ensure that your users will be able do use it no matter what the OS is

• Thanks SGaist, but that isn't quite the answer I am looking for. Right now I am playing with these 3 functions to try to get the directory that my executable is in, wherever it is in. I want the user to store the database wherever he has my executable.

Could you tell me which of these 3 options is the best, or if you know another one?

1: QString path = qApp->applicationDirPath();
    2: QDir::currentPath();
    3: QDir dir;
    dir.absolutePath();

Thanks a bunch!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Number one is the correct solution but it will probably fail on OS X, that's why I'm suggesting the use of QStandardPaths

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.