Qt 5 doesn`t build - too many errors emitted

• Hi everyone!

I try to compile a 32 Bit Version of Qt on Mac OS X 10.8.3, but after a short time it throws many errors and ends up with the fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now.
    I uninstalled Xcode 4 some time ago because I had to work on another project using Xcode 3. Is there a relationship? I reinstalled Version 4 now but nevertheless the output looks like this:

@./configure -nomake tests -platform macx-clang-32 -DNS_BUILD_32_LIKE_64

[...]

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGRemoteOperation.h:381:56: error: expected function body after function declarator
    CG_EXTERN CFMachPortRef CGWindowServerCFMachPort(void) CF_RETURNS_RETAINED
    ^
    In file included from /Users/rtwdev/Desktop/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.2/qtbase/qmake/generators/mac/pbuilder_pbx.cpp:56:
    In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h:55:
    In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/ImageIO.h:14:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageSource.h:14:1: error: unknown type name 'CG_EXTERN_C_BEGIN'
    CG_EXTERN_C_BEGIN
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageSource.h:17:1: error: expected unqualified-id
    enum CGImageSourceStatus {
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageSource.h:25:14: error: ISO C++ forbids forward references to 'enum' types
    typedef enum CGImageSourceStatus CGImageSourceStatus;
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageSource.h:193:1: error: unknown type name 'CG_EXTERN_C_END'
    CG_EXTERN_C_END
    ^
    In file included from /Users/rtwdev/Desktop/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.2/qtbase/qmake/generators/mac/pbuilder_pbx.cpp:56:
    In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h:55:
    In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/ImageIO.h:16:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageDestination.h:10:1: error: expected unqualified-id
    typedef struct CGImageDestination *CGImageDestinationRef;
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageDestination.h:14:1: error: unknown type name 'CG_EXTERN_C_BEGIN'
    CG_EXTERN_C_BEGIN
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Headers/CGImageDestination.h:29:1: error: expected unqualified-id
    CG_EXTERN const CFStringRef kCGImageDestinationLossyCompressionQuality AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4_AND_LATER;
    ^
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGBase.h:63:22: note: expanded from macro 'CG_EXTERN'

define CG_EXTERN extern "C"

[...]

fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
    20 errors generated.
    make: *** [pbuilder_pbx.o] Error 1
    *** qtbase/configure exited with non-zero status.@

What is going wrong? Thanks for any help.

Best regards,
    Sonic

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

IIRC you have to change the os x SDK used to build Qt, otherwise it defaults to the latest which uses 64bit.

• Add -xplatform unsupported/macx-ios-clang to your configure line. Cross-compilations require that option with a "mkspec" value. mkspecs are qmake files shipped with qt: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/trees/stable/mkspecs

• Thank you very much. I tried both hints but the upshot was that I went to another mac in our office and configured with "-universal" and Qt was built fine. After "sudo make -j1 install" I took the files back to my machine and could import the framework in my 32 Bit project.

• I must have misunderstood when I posted; it seems you weren't interested in iOS. Regardless, you probably don't want to be building a PowerPC binary, as even Apple doesn't support that architecture anymore. Unless one of your Macs actually has it?

• The goal was to build a 32 Bit version to use it on a current OSX in collaboration with an old plugin SDK for Pro Tools: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/8825/
    I built Qt on OSX 10.6 and it works fine on my mac which runs with 10.8. This solution was more time-saving than to investigate why my mac did not want to build itself.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.