Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Compile error when building project (process: "/usr/bin/make" -j8)

• Hey, I am still getting familiar with Qt and I have been working with it on windows on a GUI application and it was working fine. I wanted to test it's scalability on my Ubuntu machine (20.04.1), so I installed the same version of Qt there. However when I am building, I am getting this error and I am not sure why.

... SS-QT-Desktop_Qt_5_12_10_GCC_64bit-Debug/Makefile qmake_all
    make: Nothing to be done for 'qmake_all'.
    14:37:54: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited normally.
    14:10:20: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" -j8
    make: *** No rule to make target '/home/adham/Test_Tools/SS/GUI/SS-QT/./libftd2xx.a', needed by 'SS'. Stop.
    14:10:20: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
    Error while building/deploying project SS-QT (kit: Desktop Qt 5.12.10 GCC 64bit)
    When executing step "Make"
    14:10:20: Elapsed time: 00:00.

It seems the error is happening when creating the executable file for the project, help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    It says it dont know how to build libftd2xx
    so if you downloaded it for windows, then you need to recompile it to be used in Linux.

• @mrjj This project compiles and runs on other linux machines. I think it might be a compiler error or something related to Qt's build settings/steps?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Try to compile it without -j8

• @Christian-Ehrlicher It seems I can't remove the -j8 as it is a setting in the build steps. I can adjust the number of cores chosen I believe (ex, -j4 etc.). I am still having troubles building this project. Also, one thing to note is that this same projects builds and runs on other Linux machines.
    Screenshot from 2021-01-26 09-28-27.png

• Okay so I was digging deeper in the .pro file and I found these few lines of code at the bottom. It seems this is where the error is originating from. I believe these are different build rules depending on the environment, I am still not sure what is the problem
    388a46bf-a6da-4ece-927e-0150e570764a-image.png

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Do you have that static library available in the project sources ?

• @SGaist I do have the header file ftd2xx.h. However, I do not have the compiled static file libftd2xx.a. On my Windows machine, I think (and I might be wrong) the library is being compiled at run time because I just checked there and only the header file is available in the project sources.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

In that case you should first get the library for your OS.

• @SGaist I installed the libftd2xx.a static library and copied it into usr/lib as well as usr/local/lib and I am getting the same error. Am I missing something?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The PRE_TARGETDEPS points within your sources.

One thing you can do is comment out this line.

It's usually used to ensure that if a static library is changed, then it will trigger a rebuild of the target. In your can you do not seem to build libftd2xx so you should be safe from that point of vue.

• @SGaist I commented out the line you mentioned, and now I get a bunch more errors relating to that same library. Seems to be originating from line above the one I removed:
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.so when searching for -lftd2xx
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.a when searching for -lftd2xx
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lftd2xx
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [Makefile:626: SS] Error 1
    12:14:39: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
    Error while building/deploying project SS-QT (kit: Desktop Qt 5.12.10 GCC 64bit)
    When executing step "Make"
    12:14:39: Elapsed time: 01:03.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You are missing the OpenGL development package for your distribution.

You likely have a 32bit build of ftd2xx.

• @SGaist Awesome, you were right. Now with the 64bit ftd2xx and OpenGL package installed, it builds and runs. I guess I'll leave that last line commented out until I figure out the problem with it.

Thanks for your help, highly appreciated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Adham said in Compile error when building project (process: "/usr/bin/make" -j8):

I guess I'll leave that last line commented out until I figure out the problem with it.

As I wrote before, this line expects to find the static libftd2xx library file within the project sources.

• @SGaist I heard you, I tried throwing it in there but I got the same error. Anyways I should be good for now. I'll come back if I can't figure it out later on lol. Thanks again.