Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Implement QFileSystemModel in CLi

• Hello.

I am trying to use QFileSystemModel in a applciation that has both GUI and CLI in order to monitor if files are created in a directory. I have the following code:

For CLI part I have tried to run the following code (in a separate project).

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QCoreApplication app(argc, argv);
        // create the main class
        QFileSystemModel model;
        model.setRootPath("D:/");
        return app.exec();
    }

When the root path is set the app throws a Access violation reading.

Is there any chance that QFileSystemModel cannot be used under CLI? If I am using the class in a GUI application that has QApplication on main everything works.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Can you show the stack trace ?
    Which version of Qt are you using ?
    How are you starting your application ?

• @MihEdd said in Implement QFileSystemModel in CLi:

Is there any chance that QFileSystemModel cannot be used under CLI?

Documentation is your friend:

Note: QFileSystemModel requires an instance of QApplication.

• @SGaist
    Here is my stack. I am using Qt 5.14.1.
    ```
    [Inline Frame] Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileIconProviderPrivate::getIcon(const QFileInfo &) Line 236
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\itemviews\qfileiconprovider.cpp(236)
    Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileIconProvider::icon(const QFileInfo & info) Line 247
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\itemviews\qfileiconprovider.cpp(247)
    Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileInfoGatherer::getInfo(const QFileInfo & fileInfo) Line 331
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\dialogs\qfileinfogatherer.cpp(331)
    Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileSystemModelPrivate::node(const QString & path, bool fetch) Line 478
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\dialogs\qfilesystemmodel.cpp(478)
    [Inline Frame] Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileSystemModelPrivate::index(const QString & path, int) Line 229
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\dialogs\qfilesystemmodel_p.h(229)
    Qt5Widgets.dll!QFileSystemModel::setRootPath(const QString & newPath) Line 1517
    at c:\users\qt\work\qt\qtbase\src\widgets\dialogs\qfilesystemmodel.cpp(1517)
    Synoptes-CLI.exe!main(int argc, char * * argv) Line 33
    at D:\Projects RISE\Synoptes\Qt Repo\Synoptes-GUI\Synoptes-CLI\main.cpp(33)
    [External Code]

• Lifetime Qt Champion

It's because of what @Pablo-J-Rogina wrote: you shall use a QApplication in order to use QFileSystemModel.

• Thank you for the help.

If I am using QApplication instead of QCoreApplication the CLI is not working. I tried to move the QFileSystemModel in a separate thread, and in the separate thread I created a instance of QApplication. The QFileSystemModel works, but on main() the application fails when returning app->exec(). It seems that in cannot use QApplication beacuse is related with the GUI. Is QFileSystemModel available only for GUI applications?

• @MihEdd said in Implement QFileSystemModel in CLi:

Is QFileSystemModel available only for GUI applications?

I only know that QFileSystemModel uses a separate thread to populate itself so it will not cause the main thread to hang as the file system is being queried. Since @Pablo-J-Rogina has drawn your attention to

Note: QFileSystemModel requires an instance of QApplication.

one presumes that is indeed the case.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What do you mean by "CLI is not working" now ? The code you posted just created the model and starts the event loop. What are you expecting it to do ?