Issues running .bat on button click

• My goal is to run a .bat that I've added as a resource file on a button click. The purpose of this is to get the current windows username via "whoami".

QString getUser()
    {
       QObject *Parent;
       QProcess *p = new QProcess(Parent);
       p->start(":/CheckWin.bat");
       p->waitForFinished(100);
       WinUser = p->readAllStandardOutput();
       p->terminate();
       return WinUser;
    }

I've tried a few different ways of doing this the above is my latest attempt. Another example is as follows.

QString getUser()
    {
       QFileInfo program = "C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe";
       QStringList args;
       args << "whoami/r"; // not sure if /r is even needed
       QObject *Parent;
       QProcess *p = new QProcess(Parent);
       p->execute(program.absoluteFilePath(), args);
       p->waitForBytesWritten(100);
       WinUser = p->readAllStandardOutput();
       p->terminate();
       return WinUser;
    }

Both methods compile without error but both lock the program up. It appears like a crash and is completely frozen. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Moderators

.bat files are not executables. You can't "run" them so the first example won't work.
    Your handling of the process is also very bad:
    QObject *Parent; - this has an undefined value
    QProcess *p = new QProcess(Parent); - this has a garbage parent so is an undefined behavior and also leaks memory
    p->terminate(); - if the wait finished there's nothing to terminate anymore.
    execute() is a static method and doesn't operate on the instance you called it on.

As for the second example - don't assume C: drive exists or that Windows is installed in Windows directory.
    To pass a command to cmd you need a /c parameter and the command to execute as another parameter.

But in this case all this is unnecessary. You don't need cmd. You can run whoami directly:

QString getUser()
    {
        QProcess p;
        p.start("whoami");
        if (p.waitForStarted() && p.waitForFinished())
            return p.readAllStandardOutput();

p.kill(); //terminate() doesn't work on applications that have no event loop
        return QString(); //error occured
    }

• @Chris-Kawa I see, thanks, mate I don't do much work with windows!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.