[Solved]dyld: Library not loaded --- for a custom widget

• Dear Qt experts:

I compiled a custom widget in a .dylib (libdline45vplugin.dylib) and installed it in ~/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/plugins/designer. Then I created a simple project with only one such widget in the ui. I added the following two lines in .pro to get the project compiled in addition to copy dline45v.h to the project directory:

LIBS += -ldline45vplugin
    LIBS += -L/Users/stu/qt/CW_DL45v-build-desktop

However I got the following runtime error:

dyld: Library not loaded: libdline45vplugin.dylib
    Referenced from: /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    Reason: image not found

Any one can tell me where should I put the dylib to get the project running? Manually or there is a tool for this purpose?

Thanks.

• You can tray to add the path to your lib to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, see an example in "this reply":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewreply/19939/ of another thread.

Additionally, what path for your lib is shown on this command:

@
    otool -L /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    @

• Hi Volker,

The "otool" utility shows that the libdline45vplugin.dylib does not have absolute/complete path.

$ otool -L /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t:
    libdline45vplugin.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

I added the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in .profile. After re-refrence it, I got the env output:

$ env |grep DY
    DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/stu/qt/CW_DL45v-build-desktop

However, I still get the same error. Did I miss any step?

Thanks.

• Maybe the dylib is missing some other libs, check it with otool too.

You need not install it to plugins/designer. As long as it is not a designer plugin, it's useless in that place.

If it is a designer plugin, then you shouldn't use that dylib for your actual program.

• Hi Volker,

a little bit history for my project.
    I want to create some custom widgets which will be used in the form layout in the Creator. I followed the online instruction, create a widget, compiled it in a dylib, and "make install" installed it in ~/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/plugins/designer. However, when starting the Creator, I could not see my widget. If I manually copy the dylib to "Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/designer", the Creator crashes at startup. With the advise from other developer, I downloaded the source code of the Qt Creator, compiled it, and put it in QtSDK directory. then I can use my widget in the Creator.
    Please let me know if I was wrong in any steps in creating the custom widget.

Now I want to test my widget to build an application, and result in this "image not found" error.

this is the complete output of otool:

$ otool -L /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    libdline45vplugin.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
    /Users/stu/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current/QtGui (compatibility version 4.7.0, current version 4.7.3)
    /Users/stu/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current/QtCore (compatibility version 4.7.0, current version 4.7.3)
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)
    /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 625.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.10)

Thanks.

• another question, for the app, should I compile the lib in different way from the .dylib used in designer?

thanks.

• Now I compiled a C++ shared library libdl45v.1.0.0.dylib with the same widget source code. modified .pro as

LIBS += -ldl45v
    LIBS += -L/Users/stu/qt/dl45v-build-desktop

The compilation is clean. But the runtime error is still there. This time it looks for different dylib:

dyld: Library not loaded: libdl45v.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    Reason: image not found

my otool output:
    $ !736
    otool -L /Users/stu/qt/t-build-desktop/t.app/Contents/MacOS/t
    libdl45v.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /Users/stu/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current/QtGui (compatibility version 4.7.0, current version 4.7.3)
    /Users/stu/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current/QtCore (compatibility version 4.7.0, current version 4.7.3)
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)
    /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 625.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.10)

$ env |grep DY
    DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/stu/qt/dl45v-build-desktop

and I have these files in dl45v-build-desktop:

Makefile
    libdl45v.1.0.dylib
    moc_dline45v.cpp
    dline45v.o
    libdl45v.1.dylib
    moc_dline45v.o
    libdl45v.1.0.0.dylib
    libdl45v.dylib

Thanks.

• If you run this from within Qt Creator, then you must add the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to the execution environment (project pane/run settings). It is not pulled in from the shell!

• Hi Volker,

Thanks for the help. I added the path in the Projects pane. IT WORKS.

I will mark this thread as SOLVED shortly after the next questions cleared.

I want to clarify these steps:

1. In my case the custom widget for Designer was right and the dylib (libdline45vplugin.dylib) was correctly installed.
    2. Why do I need to rebuild the Creator from source to use the custom widget?
    3. I need to build a shared library for the widget to be used in app, libdl45v.1.dylib. The shared lib should be created with the same source code of the widget (exclude the widgetInterface class).

If I did right for the above steps, where, by default, should I put the shared lib ?

Thanks.

• Regarding Creator, I don't know. You'd better start a new thread in the "Tools Forum":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewforum/13/.

Regarding the two libs:
    You can link the designer plugin to the shard lib with the widgets. You must add that lib to designer/creator too. I don't know where it has to go, though.

Or create a static version of your widget lib and link that to the plugin. You end up with only the plugin shared lib then, no additional libs to install. That's what I do here.

The place for the shared lib(s) is platform dependent. Please have a look in the docs for that (deployment) resp. refer to the system specifications of your OS.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.