[Solved] Show / hide console window

• Hi Folks,

I'm googling since a day, but my issue seems to be opened already. I have a console application on Windows 7, that I have to push down to the Windows Tray (collection of icons at the right - bottom side) when the user clicks on the "hide" control of the console window. I discovered, that I have to add "widgets" library to my project (I started from console application) and I can use QSystemTrayIcon for this purposes.
    The question is: how can hide the console window itself and show it again if the user click on the icon on the system tray?
    I didn't have to found such a solution (show() and hide() slots) as I can use on QMainwindow instance. And I would like to avoid winAPI calls. I prefer the clean Qt solutions:)

Can anybody help me?

Regards,
    Norbert

• Moderators

A popular misconception is that the console window is part of your app. It is not. When you create a console app your app has no window. All it does is read/write to/from the standard input/output. The window you see is provided by OS and is a separate entity. So it's not a widget and as such, can't be controlled by Qt.

So your options include:

• Use WinAPI to find the window that hosts your app and ask it to minimize, show etc. via Windows messages.
    • Switch to ui application and emulate a console as a widget
    • Switch to ui application with no widget and spawn your own console instance. Talking to it requires WinAPI calls.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.