Precision identifiers in GLSL Fragment shader code generate errors

• Hello all,

I am developing an application using the QWindow. In doing so, I started learning OpenGL ES 2.0. I have been learning about shaders and precision. I have the following code for a fragment shader:

@
    #ifdef GL_FRAGMENT_PRECISION_HIGH
    precision highp float;
    #else
    precision mediump float;
    #endif

varying vec4 color;
    void main()
    {
    gl_FragColor = color;
    }
    @

I get the following error when I compile this shader code:

QOpenGLShader::compile(Fragment): ERROR: 0:7: 'precision' : syntax error syntax error

Can anyone explain why? According to a book on this type of OpenGL, that is valid code (as a matter of fact, I am borrowing from that book).

Thanks in advance.

• Be aware of that QOpenGLShader will insert

@#define highp
    #define mediump
    #define lowp@

at the top of your glsl code when you are compiling for desktop. And on desktop, 'precision' is not a valid token until one of the later versions (exactly which one I can't remember right now).

So based on that, I'd say that you are compiling for desktop and it fails on line 4 (7 - 3 inserted lines) of your code because 'precision' is not a valid keyword.

QOpenGLShaderProgram tries to help in this regard by defining the precision specifiers to empty on desktop, so if you change your code to:

@lowp varying vec4 color;
    void main() {
    gl_FragColor = color;
    }@

it will compile for both desktop and es.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.