QtWebkit how to access dynamic HTML/DOM elements after executing javascript

• I am modifying the domtraversal example. I traverse the DOM of a webpage using QWebFrame and QWebElements. When I find a certain button, I

@.evaluateJavaScript("this.click()");@

that element and the dynamic content loads on the page. However, the DOM that I'm traversing is still the old one from the original load, before I clicked. How do I update the QWebPage document without reloading the page? If I do

@webView->reload();@

the information I selected is no longer there and this starts an infinite loop of choosing the information and then reloading. I just want to refresh the DOM. I also tried reading the webView->page()->mainFrame()->documentElement() again, but it's still the same DOM.

I'd appreciate any hints or help someone can give.

• Please provide more information...

Does button.click() change i.e. adds/removes elements or it changes properties of existing elements?

If it creates new content i.e. new web elements you should try to find these web elements starting from webView->page()->mainFrame()->documentElement() again
    because your QWebElement is probably holding the old web element

NB! QWebElement could hold even removed web element for a while because you might paste it later

If javascript executed on click() only changes attributes/values of existing web elements well then perhaps it (new content) is accessible only from javascript - I've seen that quite too often, not sure about WebKit
    e.g. IMG src="" that was changed from javasript to IMG src="someimg.jpg"
    and then 'someimg.jpg' is "visible" only from javascript
    i.e. in this case you have to use evaluateJavaScript again to get actual value of src attribute 'someimg.jpg'

• Thanks for the reply ThatDude.

Does button.click() change i.e. adds/removes elements or it changes properties of existing elements?

It adds elements to a static table element. It doesn't change the properties (that I'm aware of), but appends to it.

you should try to find these web elements starting from webView->page()->mainFrame()->documentElement() again

I tried doing that. During debugging I saw that the javascript is not evaluated immediately upon returning to the main loop. Instead, the slot corresponding to the signal I emitted is called immediately and the javascript is not called until sendpostedevents() is reached in the stack. I ended up finding a workaround by not calling the javascript and loading the html I found in the jQuery arguments, but I'm still curious as to how I COULD have reloaded the DOM. It seems that just doing the same

@QWebFrame *frame = webView->page()->mainFrame();
    QWebElement document = frame->documentElement();@

after the javascript call might work, but I think I would have to add a slot for some signal that told me that the javascript result had been returned. Otherwise the DOM is reloaded before the javascript is even executed.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.