How to create a child widget floating

• Hi all

I would to create a child windget able to "ignore" any layout and that can be showed in any part of the main window (on top of other widgets) using main window coordinates. I know is possible to make such result by creating a widget without a parent but in this case the widget became like an indipendent window and use global screen coordinates. On the contrary I would my floating widget to be child of main window with the consequence if you move the main window this floating widget will be moved as well (basically like a MDI windows). Currently I didn't find a way for this problem yet, have you some suggestion about?

Thank you

• You can implement the mouseMoveEvent and use the maptoParent or mapToGlobal parameter.

See the following code snippet. I have created my own label and set the parent as Widget. There is no layout. When I move the mouse, mylabel follows the mouse cursor.

@void MyLabel::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent *ev){
    qDebug() << " MY pos = "<< ev->pos();
    QPoint p1 = ev->pos();
    QPoint p = mapToParent(p1);
    this->setGeometry(p.x(),p.y(),this->width(),this->height());
    }@

• Hi

In my case I want the child widget to be moved with all main window like MDI window do. Many triks can be done but I would to knwo if it exist a "native" way to create such control...

• ahhh....It is not trick. This is how it works. There is no ready made stuff. Check for dockwidgets if something fits your requirement.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.