[SOLVED] The program has unexpectedly finished

• Hello.
    I created a new application project (qt widgets) and add 2 lines of code after QApplication a(argc, argv);:

@
    QMessageBox::critical(NULL, "test", "test");
    exit(0);
    @

Program compiles and runs. But sometimes QT creator shows "The program has unexpectedly finished" and that the executable has crashed. It is random and happens on debug/release with gcc and llvm/clang. Kubuntu 64bits machine with QT 5.3.

@
    #include "mainwindow.h"
    #include <QApplication>
    #include <QMessageBox>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication a(argc, argv);

QMessageBox::critical(NULL, "test", "test");
    exit(0);

MainWindow w;
    w.show();

return a.exec&#40;&#41;;

}
    @

I found this site: http://blogs.kde.org/node/3919 about how to crash (almost) every Qt/KDE, but it didn't help much.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you.

• can you add on your main
    @void myMessageOutput(QtMsgType type, const QMessageLogContext &context, const QString &msg){
    QByteArray localMsg = msg.toLocal8Bit();
    switch (type) {
    case QtDebugMsg:
    fprintf(stderr, "Debug: %s (%s:%u, %s)\n", localMsg.constData(), context.file, context.line, context.function);
    break;
    case QtWarningMsg:
    fprintf(stderr, "Warning: %s (%s:%u, %s)\n", localMsg.constData(), context.file, context.line, context.function);
    break;
    case QtCriticalMsg:
    fprintf(stderr, "Critical: %s (%s:%u, %s)\n", localMsg.constData(), context.file, context.line, context.function);
    break;
    case QtFatalMsg:
    fprintf(stderr, "Fatal: %s (%s:%u, %s)\n", localMsg.constData(), context.file, context.line, context.function);
    abort();
    }
    }

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    qInstallMessageHandler(myMessageOutput);
    QApplication app(argc, argv);
    ........................ and yu other lines
    @
    now maybe you can trace your program also use debug mode any error like c passing arg? or something similar??

• Thank you for your reply arsinte_andrei.

I added the code you posted, but it is never called when the application crash.

• Just tested with a Windows machine (Windows Vista 64bits) without any problems.
    Also tested with a Ubuntu machine and got the same "The program has unexpectedly finished” problem.

• Changed line:
    @
    exit(0);
    @

to:

@
    return 0;
    @

And no more “The program has unexpectedly finished” crash.

According to "stackoverflow":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/461449/return-statement-vs-exit-in-main

bq. When I call return in main(), destructors will be called for my locally scoped objects. If I call exit(), no destructor will be called for my locally scoped objects!bq.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.