[SOLVED] QMetaObject::invokeMethod with boost::shared_ptr argument

• @
    Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(boost::shared_ptrMy::Class)

void function()
    {
    auto val = QMetaObject::invokeMethod(this->m_object->sender, "senderFunction", Qt::AutoConnection, Q_ARG(boost::shared_ptrMy::Class, this->m_myClass));
    }
    @

When running my app, Qt reports "No such method"

Am I doing something wrong here?

senderFunction() is an inherited function which sender has public access to from the base class. Is this causing the problem?

• Answering my own question. It appears that for a function to be called by invokeMethod, the function must be declared as a slot.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Unless you really want your function to be a a slot, there's also the Q_INVOKABLE keyword, the end effect is the same but it makes your code clearer.

• Oh thanks, I'll give it a shot. That would actually be much better.

• So while Q_INVOKABLE will work, it does not solve my main issue. Many of my widgets inherit from a non-qt base class. This class is capable of setting a pointer to my kernel.

@
    class WidgetBase
    {
    public:
    void setKernel(Kernel* x);
    };
    @

So in effect, all of my widgets are able to set the kernel. The problem is I need to be able to set these kernels on a separate thread from the widgets I have created.

As far as I can tell, WidgetBase would have to inherit from Q_Object so that I could set "setKernel" as Q_INVOKABLE. Now WidgetBase inherits from Q_Object and I can no longer inherit from WidgetBase with any of my custom widgets. This is also true declaring as slots.

@
    class WidgetBase : public Q_Object
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    Q_INVOKABLE void setKernel(Kernel* x);
    };
    @

Is my only option to not inherit from WidgetBase and have every custom widget i've created so far run their own setKernel() function?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Not their own. But you would need first to make it virtual and for the widgets that uses it, you need to reimplement it (adding the Q_INVOKABLE keyword in the declaration) and just call the base class implementation.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.