[Solved] Qt 5.0.2 static linked - library size and linking time

• Hello,

i recently build Qt 5.0.2 with static linked libraries. So far, so good...

1st issue: The file size of many build libraries is very huge. I.e. Qt5Quick.lib takes 587 MB of disk space (all Libs in /lib folder together take about 5 GB). Is that "normal"? or is there some way to "strip" the libraries?
    (PS: It does only affects the release libs. The debug libs have "normal" size (1/10 size of release libs))

2nd issue: The linking of my applikations takes a lot of time, compared to dynamic linked builds. I guess, it depends on the library sizes. Is that right? Then the linking time should be reduced, if the 1st issue is solved.

My environment:

Source package: qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.2.zip
    Platform: win32-msvc2008
    configure options: -developer-build -nomake docs examples tests demos webkit -debug-and-release -opensource -confirm-license -opengl desktop -mp -static -platform win32-msvc2008 -ltcg -qt-zlib -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg

Changes in qtbase/mkspecs/win32-msvc2008/qmake.conf for static build:

old: QMAKE_CFLAGS_DEBUG = -Zi -MDd

new: QMAKE_CFLAGS_DEBUG = -Zi -MTd

• I'll try to answer myself:

I left out the -ltcg configure flag. As far as I understand, this flag enables the -GL (whole program optimization) compiler flag in release builds, which increases the lib size dramatically.

Rebuild is currently in progress, but until now build release libs hafe 1/3 the size of the debug libs.
    Looks good so far...

• Build is done now. Lib sizes are as expected and linking time is as usual.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.