[Solved] Easy way to run loops without GUI freezing?

• Hello there,

I've got a little problem which i can't solve by myself. I have written a program which recieves pictures from a TCP-Socket. The program has to start and find its server by itself, because the computer it's going to run on hasn't got a monitor or a keyboard. When the program starts, it checks an IP-List for a running server. Following function is called from the GUI:

@void MultiClientSocket::firstTryConnect()
    {
    QString helper = QString::number(host);

blockSignals(true);                                                                                                                            
    int counter = 0;
    while((state() == QAbstractSocket::UnconnectedState) == true)                                                             
    {
        ipAddress = ipList.at(counter);
        connectToHost(ipAddress,host,QIODevice::ReadWrite);
        if(waitForConnected(200))
            break;

if((counter == (ipList.size()-1))==true)
        {
            counter = 0;
        }
        else
        {
            counter++;
        }
    }
    disconnectFromHost();                                                                                                      
    blockSignals(false);
    emit setIP(ipAddress);
    QTimer::singleShot(100,this,SLOT(tryConnect()));                                                                         
    emit setStatus("Connecting...");

}@

Of course the GUI is freezing when the program is searching for a server. I know there are many ways to stop that, with threading for example. But I don't know how to use them. Is there a possibility without threading or finding a running server without connecting?

Thank you for your help!

Zamahra

I'm using QT 5.0.1 with QT Creator 2.6.2 on a Windows 7 64Bit Computer

• Moderators

You can use qApp::processEvents() inside your loop to keep the GUI responsive. It's probably better to rethink the design, though.

• Moderators

why do you care if the gui freezes when the program is supposted to run on a computer without keyboard and a monitor? :)

• You probably want to put functions that take a lot of time into a "background" thread.

You can emit a signal from the "background" thread and then have the GUI thread react on it in a slot, as soon as the final result is known or some status update (which the GUI needs to know about) has occurred.

Use the Qt::QueuedConnection connection type for this purpose, so the slot will be executed in "main" thread.

--

See also:

• Thank you for your help!

@qApp->processEvents();@
    works very fine.

Even when the program should start by itself, I have to use the GUI for test-purposes. I think its better when the program runs on every computer and doesn't confuse users by freezing =)

• Nevertheless, keep in mind that qApp->processEvents() processes all pending events, which means that it may process also pending signals, which in turn, may call into slot functions - which probably is not what you want in the middle of your loop. Also, it can easily construct a nice infinite recursion, if you call qApp->processEvents() from within a slot, as it might result in calling exactly that slot. So, you have to be very careful with it...

(Doesn't mean it can't work nice for your particular program)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.