Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

[SOLVED] Updating the text on a QLabel

• I trying to use the following code to change the text in a QLabel from "Ready." to "Boo!" when I press the button marked "Change text", but when the button is clicked, nothing happens. I've looked through the QLabel documentation and can't find anything that would indicate that I need to set some special flag to allow updating of text, so I was wondering if there was something else that I'm missing here.

@#include <QtGui>

int main( int argc, char** args )
    {
    QApplication app( argc, args );

QLabel *label = new QLabel;
    label->setText( "Ready." );

QPushButton *button = new QPushButton;
    button->setText( "Change text" );
    QObject::connect( button, SIGNAL( clicked() ), label, SLOT( setText( "Boo!" ) ) );

QHBoxLayout *layout = new QHBoxLayout;
    layout->addWidget( button );
    layout->addWidget( label );

QMainWindow *mainWindow = new QMainWindow;
    QWidget *centralWidget = new QWidget;
    centralWidget->setLayout( layout );
    mainWindow->setCentralWidget( centralWidget );
    mainWindow->show();

return app.exec();
    }@

• Hi there,
    hmmm i believe the problem is when you connect the signal and the slot. both must have the same parameter.Your button is emiting a clicked signal but nothing else and your qlabel slot settext(QString) is expecting a Qstring from the emitter . I believe you cant just put "Boo!". You can have a public slot in your class with no parameters and call seText("Boo!") from there.

• The following code is basically wrong.
    @
    QObject::connect( button, SIGNAL( clicked() ), label, SLOT( setText( "Boo!" ) ) );
    @

When you running the application under debug mode, you should get a warning message says that, the slot you used doesn't exists.

In addition, this "connect" statement will return false instead of true.

• Use for debug porpose Q_ASSERT(connect(SIGNAL()),SLOT(());

And u will see in console output, which connections not connected.

• Moderators

Using Q_ASSERT(connect(...)) is dangerous because in release mode the Q_ASSERT line will be ignored and your connect will not happen at all.

If you still want to use Q_ASSERT to test your connection, do it as follows:
    @
    bool connected = connect(...);
    Q_ASSERT(connected);
    @

• Thanks a lot for your replies. It appears that the code I posted didn't effectively illustrate my situation. It was only an example I cobbled together for posting here. In my actual code, the signals are successfully connected, as the std::cout statements I placed in them for debugging were successfully triggered.

My problem seems to be that the label is not being updated on the UI, as I can successfully extract the new text using the labsl's text() method, but the text being displayed is still the old one. Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone?

• Moderators

Are you certain that you don't somehow have a second QLabel somewhere, perhaps?

Can you post a snippet of your code, itself?

• There are two classes involved in this process, the label itself and one of its members, a dialog, that is being used to accept the new text. The slot that's actually performing the rename is at the very bottom. The skeletons of both classes are as follows:

@class RenameTitleDialog : public QDialog
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    RenameTitleDialog( QWidget *parent = NULL );
    QString editorText();

private:
    QPushButton *m_confirmButton;
    QLineEdit *m_titleEditor;
    };

RenameTitleDialog::RenameTitleDialog( QWidget *parent ) : QDialog( parent )
    {
    m_confirmButton = new QPushButton;
    m_confirmButton->setText( tr( "&Confirm" ) );
    m_confirmButton->setDefault( true );
    m_confirmButton->setEnabled( false );
    connect( m_confirmButton, SIGNAL( clicked() ), this, SLOT( accept() ) );
    }

QString RenameTitleDialog::editorText()
    {
    return m_titleEditor->text();
    }

class Task : public QLabel
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    Task( QWidget *parent = NULL, QString m_taskTitle = QString() );

private:
    RenameTitleDialog *m_renameTitleDialog;

private slots:
    void slotOpenRenameTitleDialog();
    void slotRenameTitle();
    };

Task::Task( QWidget* parent, QString title ) :
    QLabel( parent )
    {
    setText( title );
    m_renameTitleDialog = new RenameTitleDialog( this );
    setStyleSheet( "Task{ background-color: yellow; color: black; border: 1px solid black; border-radius: 4px }");
    createActions();
    }

void Task::createActions()
    {
    connect( actionRenameTitle, SIGNAL( triggered() ), this, SLOT( slotOpenRenameTitleDialog() ) );
    connect( m_renameTitleDialog, SIGNAL( accepted() ), this, SLOT( slotRenameTitle() ) );
    }

void Task::slotOpenRenameTitleDialog()
    {
    m_renameTitleDialog->exec();
    }

void Task::slotRenameTitle()
    {
    QString newTitle = m_renameTitleDialog->editorText();
    setText( newTitle );
    }@

• On your OT, there is QSignalMapper class is for you, I think.

• Ok, I've compiled the code on Mac OS and the slots are now working perfectly. I don't know what was messed up with my Linux environment (where it was being compiled before), but my code was in fact fine.