[Solved] Error: Invalid use of member (...) in static member function

• I have a UI window created in UI Designer called MonitorWindow. It has a child widget called DualDial. Basically what I'm doing is drawing 2 dials on the MonitorWindow. One is like a second hand, and the other is like a minute hand on a clock. These dials are updated with a timer (that's called by DualDial) that goes off every 100ms. All of this works fine. On the MonitorWindow UI, there's also a text label, timeLabel, that displays the current time, and I want to update that label with the timer that's running in DualDial. I've connected a signal, timeChanged, to a slot called UpdateTimeSlot in MonitorWindow. Here's the monitorwindow.h file:
    @
    namespace Ui {
    class MonitorWindow;
    }
    class MonitorWindow : public QWidget
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    explicit MonitorWindow(QWidget *parent = 0);
    ~MonitorWindow();
    Ui::MonitorWindow *ui;
    public slots:
    static void UpdateTimeSlot();
    };
    @
    Then, in the MonitorWindow constructor, I instatiate the child widget called DualDial:
    @
    DualDial *dualdial = new DualDial(this);
    @
    In the DualDial constructor, I connect the signal to the slot:
    @
    connect(this, timeChanged(), parent, MonitorWindow::UpdateTimeSlot());
    @
    The timeChanged signal is emitted inside the timer function for DualDial, so this should call MonitorWindow::UpdateTimeSlot. Inside that function I create a string called timeStr and then just update the timeLabel in the UI with the new string:
    @
    ui->timeLabel->setText(timeStr);
    @
    When I try to compile, it gives me the error: invalid use of member 'MonitorWindow::ui' in static member function. It points to the line of code above. What am I doing wrong?

• Why you want ahve static slot?

• When the UpdateTimeSlot wasn't static, I got the error: "cannot call member function 'MonitorWindow::UpdateTimeSlot()' without object" when I tried to connect the signal and the slot:
    @
    connect(this, timeChanged(), parent, MonitorWindow::UpdateTimeSlot());
    @

• I guess parent is pointer to MonitorWindow instance. right?
    When you need:

@connect(this, SIGNAL(timeChanged()), parent, SLOT(UpdateTimeSlot()));@

and remove static

• It then tells me that UpdateTimeSlot was not declared in this scope. Here's the beginning of the dualdial.cpp file with the constructor:
    @
    #include "dualdial.h"
    #include "global.h"
    #include "monitorwindow.h"

DualDial::DualDial(QWidget *parent) :
    QWidget(parent)
    {
    move(465, 100);
    resize(400, 150);
    connect(this, timeChanged(), parent, UpdateTimeSlot());
    QTimer *timer = new QTimer(this);
    connect(timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), this, SLOT(update()));
    timer->start(10);
    }
    @
    And if you need it, here's the dualdial.h file:
    @
    #include <QtGui>

class DualDial : public QWidget
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    explicit DualDial(QWidget *parent = 0);
    signals:
    void timeChanged();
    protected:
    void paintEvent(QPaintEvent *);
    };
    @

• Moderators

At first glance, in line 10, you need to wrap your signal and slot names in SIGNAL and SLOT macros.

@
        connect(this, SIGNAL(timeChanged()), parent, SLOT(UpdateTimeSlot()));
    @

There may be other issues, but this one is important.

• And here I thought it was some heavy C++ issue that I wouldn't understand. :o) It was right there in front of me!! Thanks both of you for your help!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.