Qt 4.8.6 source code cross compile problem : ": not found"

• Hello,
    I am trying to compile Qt4.8.6 source code. First of all,
    I am using linaro's toolchain gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf.
    I am working on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
    I performed the following operations respectively :

• 1 - I created a sample directory with copy and paste in mkspecs/qws directory and its name is linux-am335x-g++.

• 2- Then I rearranged the qmake.conf file like this :

#
    # qmake configuration for building with arm-linux-g++
    #

include(../../common/linux.conf)
    include(../../common/gcc-base-unix.conf)
    include(../../common/g++-unix.conf)
    include(../../common/qws.conf)

# Compiler Flags to take advantage of the ARM architecture
    QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE = -O3 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard
    QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE = -O3 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard

# modifications to g++.conf
    QMAKE_CC                = arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
    QMAKE_CXX               = arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++
    QMAKE_LINK              = arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++
    QMAKE_LINK_SHLIB        = arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++

# modifications to linux.conf
    QMAKE_AR                = arm-linux-gnueabihf-ar cqs
    QMAKE_OBJCOPY           = arm-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy
    QMAKE_STRIP             = arm-linux-gnueabihf-strip

load(qt_config)

• 3- I write my_config script like this :
    #!/bin/sh
    ./configure -opensource -confirm-license -prefix /home/sbahadirarslan/qt_workspace/qt_build -embedded arm -xplatform qws/linux-am335x-g++ -little-endian -static -no-webkit -nomake examples -nomake demos -nomake docs -nomake translations

• 4- Last I rearranged PATH variable like this : (/opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin contains toolchain binaries)
    /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

But when I run my_config bash file, I get following errors :

You have not explicitly asked to use pkg-config and are cross-compiling.
    pkg-config will not be used to automatically query cflag/lib parameters for
    dependencies

/opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: 1: /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: /
                                                                                                                                                                                                    : not found
    /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: 1: /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: 1: /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: /
                                                                                                                                                                                     : not found
    ELF: not found
    /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: 2: /opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/sbahadirarslan/qt_workspace/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.6/include/QtCore/qconfig.h': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/sbahadirarslan/qt_workspace/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.6/include/Qt/qconfig.h': File exists

By the way, before running the my_config script, I do make confclean.

I could not solve the cause of this error. Please help me about this situation.
    Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

First two recommendations:

• If you can't use Qt 5 then at least use the latest Qt 4 which is 4.8.7
    • Use out of source builds, that way if something goes wrong you can just nuke the build folder and start again.

Can you execute arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc from the command line once you tweaked the PATH environment variable ?

• I found the problem.
    First I tried to compile hello.c code with arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc and I got this error :

Exec format not found

And then I checked my processor type with

uname -p

Then I got i686.

Then I checked arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc with file command. And I realize that this toolchain is 64 bit toolchain.
    Then I install 64 bit ubuntu and problem solved.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Glad you found out and thanks for the feedback !

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.