How do I get non-latin characters to display?

• Hi All,
    I am attempting to display Chinese and Japanese characters on a Raspberry Pi without any luck.
    I am utilising Buildroot for the OS and QT 4.8.6.
    I have tried installing my own font with QFontDatabase::addApplicationFont using a simsun file added to the resources.
    I have tried with both FreeType on and off.
    All I am attempting to do at this stage is to draw a QLabel with Chinese characters in it.

The same program on Ubuntu and on Windows, the characters that there just fine so I am pretty sure it is a font issue but I can't find any help on the internet that describes exactly what one needs to do to get non-latin characters to display.
    Anyone here able to help - I would be most appreciative as I have been at this for four days now with zero progress !

Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Did you check that the font was added properly to QFontDatabase ?
    Also, did you set it on the label where you want to show these Chinese characters ?

• @SGaist , Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    On the target, I have set it to display QFontDataBase::families() and on the screen and I see the following displayed:
    BitStream Vera Sans, BitStream Vera Sans Mono, BitStream Vera Serif, DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Sans Mono, DejaVu Serif, fixed, helvetica, japanese, micro and unifont. So from that I conclude that the fonts are in the system and should be accessible.

On a form I set one QLabel and put in Chinese characters and a second QLabel and put in Japanese characters.
    In code I include the following:
    QFont newFont;
    newFont.setFamily("Deja Vu Sans");
    ui->label_Chinese->setFont(newFont);
    newFont.setFamily("japanese");
    ui->label_Japanese->setFont(newFont);

On PC and Ubuntu the characters display perfectly but on embedded they are blank.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Are you using the same version of Qt on both your desktop and target ?

• 4.8.5 on Ubuntu and Embedded.
    4.8.6 on PC

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You really should use the same version everywhere. Also, if possible you should update to 4.8.7 which is the latest and also version of the Qt 4 series.

• Yes I agree, but I don't think that is the root of the problem.
    I have inherited this project so I am trying not to change too many things at once until I get this issue sorted out.
    A slight typo in my previouis post - the Ubuntu installatiion is 4.8.5 and the embedded and PC are 4.8.6
    Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You should verify on your target that you are getting what you asked for i.e. that the font is really what you asked.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.