Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to use QProcess for restarting the device

• Hi,

Unlike a pc type, my device works continuesly (7/24). Somehow the user must re-start the device.
    My shotdown look like this;

system("poweroff");

Poweroff works nicely. And yesterday I use QProcess for the ping command as;

// Create QProcess object
        proc = new QProcess();
        proc->start("ping", QStringList() << "-c" << "3" << QString(m_sHostName));

For the restart first I try to use;

system("shutdown -r 0");

and nothing happened. So I decided to use QProcess for start as;

procR = new QProcess();
            procR->start("shutdown" << "-r" << "0");

then I get a compile error as;

/home/ntms/Desktop/ELITCARD/mainwindow.cpp:374: error: invalid operands of types 'const char [9]' and 'const char [3]' to binary 'operator<<'

Any help please,

Kind Regards

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Look again at your ping start line to build the parameters.

• @SGaist Thank you again.

I forget the "reboot". My device usr/sbin had a rebboot app so simply I call as;

system("reboot");

And its works nicely. For shutdown, poweroff and the reboot doesn't need any parameters.

Kind Regards,

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You can also use QProcess and not pass any arguments

• @NTCYP said:

procR = new QProcess();
            procR->start("shutdown" << "-r" << "0");

Just saw that you had a C++ syntax problem. You try to stream char arrays into a char array. That is not healthy and the reason why the compiler complains.

• @SGaist Yes both worked. It seems much faster to use system("reboot"). Device is not accessible from network. So I don't have any security concern to use "system". Thank you for your insight, appreciated.

Kind Regards,