OS X - Designer cannot be opened because of a problem

• I would like to use the Designer.app that came with my Qt installation to create user interfaces for PyQt, but when I try to run it, I have the following crash and error messages:

Process:               Designer [953]
    Path:                  /Users/USER/*/Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Designer
    Identifier:            com.trolltech.Designer
    Version:               ???
    Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process:        ??? [1]
    Responsible:           Designer [953]
    User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2015-08-20 13:57:25.640 +0200
    OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)
    Report Version:        11
    Anonymous UUID:        112E84A5-58E2-6257-3813-5BD1BF336045

Time Awake Since Boot: 640 seconds

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
      Library not loaded: @loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/USER/*/Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Designer
      Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
        0x7fff6c29a000 -     0x7fff6c2d0887  dyld (353.2.3) <B1B370A5-479F-3533-8AD7-97B687D4F989> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro11,2, BootROM MBP112.0138.B15, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.2 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.18f15
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro, Intel Iris Pro, Built-In
    Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54343147533641465238412D50422020
    Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54343147533641465238412D50422020
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x134), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.166.24.3)
    Bluetooth: Version 4.3.6f3 16238, 3 services, 18 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
    Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM0512F, 500.28 GB
    USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader
    USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
    USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
    Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 17.1

Basically this crash happens immediately after I click on Designer.app inside my Qt installation at the following path:

/Users/me/Qt/5.4/clang_64/bin/Designer.app

From withinQt Creator this problem does not arise, that is if I create for example a Qt Widgets Application from within Qt Creator, I can normally use the designer, but I need to launch it separately to create the .ui definitions for PyQt, which I have just installed within a virtualenv.

• My version of Qt is 5.4.

• My OS is OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.5.

If you need more information, make me know.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Can you try with Qt 5.5 ?

• Thanks!

Well, it is quite a mess uninstalling (or removing) an app from OS X, mostly because of symbolic links, if any. I would prefer to stick with the current version, if possible.

• @SGaist I had once Anaconda installed, but I have deleted it. Now, when I try to locate libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib (using locate libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib), which seems to be what is missing, I have the following output:

/Users/cell/anaconda/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib
    /Users/cell/anaconda/pkgs/qt-4.8.6-0/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib
    /Users/cell/anaconda/pkgs/qt-4.8.6-2/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib
    /Users/cell/anaconda/pkgs/qt-4.8.6-3/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib

Which is really strange, since I do not have anaconda anymore. This seems to me some kind of linking error, and that there are still some symlinks pointing to anaconda.

What do you think? How can I remove this symlinks (if they are effectively symlinks)?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That's Qt 4, it should have no impact on your problem with designer

• @SGaist Yes, but it is strange that when I dolocate libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib, I receive the output I mentioned above.

Apparently, this libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib is really missing, and I don't know why...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Is it really the Designer app that comes with the Qt 5.4 SDK ?

• @SGaist The following is my current directory: /Users/cell/Qt/5.4/clang_64/bin, and if I Iist it using ls:

Assistant.app
    Designer.app
    Linguist.app
    QMLViewer.app
    lconvert
    lrelease
    lupdate
    macchangeqt
    macdeployqt
    moc
    pixeltool.app
    qcollectiongenerator
    qdbus
    qdbuscpp2xml
    qdbusviewer.app
    qdbusxml2cpp
    qdoc
    qhelpconverter
    qhelpgenerator
    qlalr
    qmake
    qml.app
    qml1plugindump
    qml2puppet.app
    qmlbundle
    qmleasing
    qmlimportscanner
    qmllint
    qmlmin
    qmlplugindump
    qmlprofiler
    qmlscene
    qmltestrunner
    qt.conf
    qtdiag
    qtpaths
    rcc
    syncqt.pl
    uic
    xmlpatterns
    xmlpatternsvalidator

Now, if I output the contents of Designer.app:

Designer.app/
    └── Contents
        ├── Info.plist
        ├── MacOS
        │   └── Designer
        ├── PkgInfo
        └── Resources
            ├── designer.icns
            ├── empty.lproj
            └── uifile.icns

3 directories, 6 files

If I try to run the executable Designer, I get the following error, which seems to be the same as the one in the crash, that is the miss of libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib

dyld: Library not loaded: @loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/cell/Qt/5.4/clang_64/bin/Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/./Designer
      Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap: 5

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What do you get if your run otool -L Designer ?

• @SGaist said:

otool -L Designer

Designer:
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtDesignerComponents.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtDesigner.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtScript.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtXml.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtGui.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtNetwork.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	@loader_path/../../../../lib/libQtCore.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.6)
    	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 52.0.0)
    	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1094.0.0)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That's a Qt 4 version of Designer, not a 5.4

• @SGaist But why do I have the version 4 of Qt Designer inside the folder of Qt 5.4?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Well, that I don't know, but it's clearly not the right version of Designer. Did you use brew to install stuff ?

• @SGaist I have closed the terminal and opened it again and run your command again, but now I have the following output:

error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/otool: can't open file: Designer (No such file or directory)

• @SGaist Also, I think this cannot be a problem related to the version of Designer, since I can use it normally from Qt Creator.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Since you closed the terminal you first have to go again in the folder where Designer is located

Qt Creator has a designer plugin which is not the same thing as the Designer application

• @SGaist Yes, and I am having the same output, which seems that the standalone Designer.app that comes with my Qt 5.4 distribution is for Qt 4.8, which is really strange.

I am not sure if I had used brew to install something, but running brew list does not show apparently any packages or programs related to Qt:

clang-format
    cmake
    cscope
    dmd
    dub
    freetype
    gdbm
    jpeg
    libpng
    libtiff
    little-cms
    mercurial
    openssl
    pcre
    pkg-config
    portmidi
    sdl
    sdl2
    sdl_image
    sdl_mixer
    sdl_ttf
    tree
    webp
    wget
    zsh

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That really strange…

The output of brew list doesn't seem suspicious

I just verified with 5.5 and it's all ok

• At the end, I decided to uninstall Qt 5.4 (using the MaintenanceTool that comes with the program) and install Qt 5.5. For now, the Designer.app works normally.

I have also reinstalled PyQt5 globally instead of on a virtualenv. I have had some problems related to licenses' compatibility, that I solved by commenting 2 statements in the configure.py of PyQt5, before building. This pseudo solution to this problem can be found on the web.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

There must have a been a strange glitch at some point somewhere...

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.