Beaglebone Crossompile: Cannot find lib not so easy fix

• I have been following this tutorial for cross compiling on the beaglebone black (BBB).
    https://chaitramohankumar.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/building-qt4-8-6-for-embedded-linux/

I have cross compiled QT 4.8.6 on my VM running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS for my BBB using an appropriate cross compiler. I then installed QT creator 2.8 on my VM. I set everything up in Qt Creator (the tool kit, etc). It connects to the BBB just fine. I built test app and this is where I hit the snag. When I try to run it (the green arrow) it errors out saying:

stdin: is not a tty
    /home/debian/test: error while loading shared libraries: cannot find QtNetwork.so.4: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
    Remote application finished with exit code 127.

I went into build environment and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/Trollteh/QtEmbedded-4.8.6-arm/lib (where the cross compiled libs are). I copied the libs onto the beaglebone under the same directory path as well. I exported the path as LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/.../lib. None of these fixes have worked and I have confirmed the exact file name exists within the lib directory. What do I do next?

Also, out of curiosity how backwards compatible is Qt Creator? Can I use the most recent version to develop on even though I'm cross compiling 4.8.6 or what is the newest version I can use with Qt4? 2.8?

• I think you're setting the wrong variable. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the runtime linkage directory, not compile time. You should add to your project file (.pro):

LIBS += -L/usr/local/.../lib

Then run qmake and try compiling again.

I don't know about the backward compatibility of Qt creator. Sorry.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

You can use the latest version of Qt Creator without any problem to build Qt 4 software. The only thing that you must take into account for the version of Qt Creator is that since Qt 5.2 you need at least Qt Creator 3

• @Leonardo Unfortunately this did not work either. It came back with the same error. I have also tried inserting the path into the /etc/ld.so.conf file and changing the directories under which the files are located (simplifying it) and then repeating all these work arounds. :/

• Lifetime Qt Champion

ld.so.conf is also used at run time. Adding the path to LIBS using -L is the way to go

• @SGaist It did not work. When I directly run the program on my BBB it comes up with a versioning error of GLIBC. When I fix this error and get it to run on my BBB I will try the console and update this post.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That means that your cross-compile build is using a different Qt version than the one you have on your BBB

• @SGaist I followed a tutorial and it worked for them. I am going to find an old version of Ubuntu with eglibc2.13 to run on my VM and cross compile against since I cannot update glibc to 2.17 on my BBB as my Qt program says is needed. Does this sound like a good plan?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

I'd rather go with building Qt using your BBB root filesystem so you can have all the most recent part you can

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.