QML-How-to? Anonymous Access To TableView From Within Delegates

• Hi,

Using QML, I'm writing a custom itemDelegate and rowDelegate that I want to be able to
    use across any number of different TableView instances.

As the code to follows shows, I've been able to accomplish this--but only in a way that I'm
    extremely dubious about it working in future (or previous, for that matter) releases of Qt.
    I'm currently using Qt 5.2.

@
    Component {
    id: tableRowDelegate

Rectangle {
    height: 16
    color: styleData.selected ? "#448" : (styleData.alternate? "#eee" : "#fff")

property TableView tableView

Component.onCompleted: {
              if (styleData.row > -1)  // Not entirely sure why this is needed -- worse, I don't know why it works; it just does
                    tableView = parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent
        }

// Other delegate code omitted for brevity

}
    }

Component {

id: tableCellDelegate

Rectangle {
        width: parent.width
        height: parent.height
        color: "transparent"
        border.color: "#a3b3b3"
        border.width: 1
        radius: 5

property TableView tableView

Component.onCompleted: {
            tableView = parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent.parent
        }

// Other delegate code omitted for brevity
    }

}
    @

Once these delegates are constructed, access to the enclosing TableView is trivial
    (and anonymous) by prefixing the property name with 'tableView.'; i.e.
    @
    tableView.alternatingRowColors
    @

just for example.

Is there really no better way to access the view from within a delegate without
    hard-coding the ancestry, or worse: without hard-binding explicitly to the id of
    the TableView?

Thanks for any thoughts!

wahynes

• Your observation is correct and I think this is a valid issue.

In a ListView delegates can access the "ListView" attached property to get access to the View. For technical reasons I don't think we can attach a TableView property in exactly the same manner but there should still be a similar attached property available to delegates.

Perhaps you could file a suggestion with a title such as:
    "Provide a way way to access the view from inside a TableView delegate". So that we can track this.

As far as workarounds goes, you are correct that the parent hierarchy is likely to change in future versions. In fact I believe it will change already in 5.3 due to performance optimizations. A slightly more reliable way would be to create a simple loop that iterates up the parent hierarchy until it hits an object that has Accessible.role === Accessible.Table or similar.

• Thanks, Jens,

I posted this same question on StackOverflow. A couple of suggestions
    from one commenter, (plus about 10 hours of banging my head against
    my keyboard) and I actually came up with a fairly painless way to achieve
    this that avoids using the id AND avoids making any assumptions
    about the internal ancestry of a delegate.

Rather than duplicating the solution here, you can read about it there:
    "Anonymous Access To TableView.":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23522186/qml-how-to-anonymously-access-to-tableview-from-within-delegates:

It's not quite as straightforward as the exposure of the model to the
    delegate, but it's pretty close.

wahynes

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.