Is this correct, to have a thread calling slot in main process?

• I was getting the following error in Qt5 because my MainWindow dropped a thread that was trying to update a treeview in the main thread.

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.

So in my thread class (derived from QObject) I have this function which takes the MainWindow object to which the slot will be called.

void MyTest::set_model(MainWindow &mw)
    {
        connect(this, SIGNAL(update_tree), mw, SLOT(update_treeview),              
            Qt::QueuedConnection);
    }

void MyTest::update_tree()
    {
        std::cout << "update_tree ........" << std::endl;
    }   

And in my MainWindow, here is how I pass the MainWindow object to the thread so that it can emit a signal and call a slot in the main thread (TBD: emit signal).

void MainWindow::update_treeview()
    {
        std::cout << "calling update_treeview() ..." << std::endl;
    }

MyTest *test = new MyTest;
    test->set_model(this, tree_model, tree_view);

std::thread t(test);
    t.join();

It doesn't yet compile, but am I going about this correctly? My goal is to have the thread pass TreeModel data to the main process so the TreeView can be updated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

If you want a model with thread support, you should check the implementation of QFilesystemModel.

• I have a custom model and am not using QFilesystemModel? Should the above work?

• Qt Champions 2018

The short answer is that ther's a 99.9999% chance what you are doing is wrong.
    The model can't be read nor written from a non-gui thread if that model is connected to a view.
    The view calls methods from the model directly so any operation on the model from a different thread is a race condition.
    The correct way to do it is to emit a signal with the new data from the secondary thread and have the gui thread do the actual update

• Lifetime Qt Champion

I didn't wrote you had to use QFileSystemModel but that you could get inspiration from it as its implementation uses thread and does it as @VRonin correctly describes it.

• I don't think @VRonin got what I was saying in my OP, but what I explained in my OP sounds exactly like what VRonin explained, so I think I'm on the right track. Thanks both.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.