QSerialPort cannot read Asynchronously

• Hi,
    I just tried a simple qt console program (in Qt 5.9.5) which is only reading data from virtual serial port with command socat -d -d pty,raw,echo=0 pty,raw,echo=0 in my bash terminal. So the input portName is "/dev/pts/1" (for writing data) and output is "/dev/pts/2" (for reading data).

The program is totally same with QSerialPort Example: Command Line Reader Async Example. However, I changed several codes for the input so that I can manually configure the port inside the program.

This is a the constructor of serialportreader class:

#include "serialportreader.h"
    SerialPortReader::SerialPortReader(QSerialPort *serialPort, QObject *parent) :
        QObject(parent),
        m_serialPort(serialPort),
        qtout(stdout)
    {
        qtout << m_serialPort->isOpen() << endl;
        connect(m_serialPort, &QSerialPort::readyRead, this, &SerialPortReader::ReadHandler);
        connect(m_serialPort, &QSerialPort::errorOccurred, this, &SerialPortReader::ErrorHandler);
        connect(&timer, &QTimer::timeout, this, &SerialPortReader::TimeOutHandler);
        timer.start(5000);
    }

That program cannot reading / receiving the data I sent even serial.isOpen() && serial.isReadable is always true. And i found the problem is at line connect(m_serialPort, &QSerialPort::readyRead, this, &SerialPortReader::ReadHandler); which signal readyRead cannot emitted while data is already sent to reader. The reason I used that is I want to reading data from serial port asyncronously which is more comfortable for receiving data from many serial port simultaneously.

Here my writer program:

#include <QCoreApplication>
    #include <QTextStream>
    #include <QtSerialPort/QSerialPort>
    #include <QByteArray>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QCoreApplication a(argc, argv);
        QTextStream qtin(stdin);
        QTextStream qtout(stdout);

QSerialPort *serialPort;
        serialPort = new QSerialPort("/dev/pts/1");

serialPort->setBaudRate(QSerialPort::Baud9600);
        serialPort->setFlowControl(QSerialPort::NoFlowControl);
        serialPort->setParity(QSerialPort::NoParity);
        serialPort->setDataBits(QSerialPort::Data8);
        serialPort->setStopBits(QSerialPort::OneStop);

serialPort->open(QIODevice::WriteOnly);

if (serialPort->isOpen() && serialPort->isWritable())
            qtout << "Port is Available" << endl;
        else
            qtout << "Port is Not Available" << endl;

// Write Data //
        qtout << "Writting Message..." << endl;
        serialPort->write("asd");
        //serialPort->flush();
        serialPort->waitForBytesWritten(10000);
        qtout << "Finished" << endl;

serialPort->close();
        a.exit(1);
        //return a.exec();
    }

What should I do? or Do you have any advice for my problem? (sorry for my bad English)

• Qt Champions 2018

@Afif-Zaki

The program is totally same with QSerialPort Example: Command Line Reader Async Example, but only I changed the input so that I can configure the port inside the program.

does that mean, the Command Line Reader Example does also not work?

I'm not sure these kind of virtual ports are supported, @kuzulis can say more to this topic

• Just use tty0tty as a kernel module, instead of socat.

PS: I'm don't care about pseudo terminals, as it is not a serial ports.

• Hi @kuzulis,
    I just tried using tty0tty with /dev/tnt0 as input and /dev/tnt1 as output. Still, the reader program cannot read/receive data.

So, the readyRead signal won't able to emitted if data sent from the virtual port?

• @Afif-Zaki said in QSerialPort cannot read Asynchronously:

So, the readyRead signal won't able to emitted if data sent from the virtual port?

No, this means, that you something doing wrong.

• Hi @kuzulis,
    Thank you very much for suggesting me using tty0tty instead of socat.
    My program won't read serial data because I accidentally close port after I declare the SerialRead class.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.