Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

open source development

• I suspect I may not be in the right place, so I apologize in advance. :)

I want to use the open source side (QT Creator 4.7.2 based on QT 5.11.2) to work with the WinpCap program to build something similar to WireShark for a Windows desktop environment, with a lot less of the bells and whistles, so that I can replace my outdated router log program. Can I use this forum to ask questions, or is there a specific forum type place for the open source community?

With all due respect, and thanks kindly in advance :)

Gary

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to the forums.
    This is a user driven forum and most of us use the open source
    version / license.
    So yes, its the right place to ask. :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

The license you use for Qt, be it GPL, LGPL or Commercial, makes no difference here. You can ask Qt question without any problem.

On a side note, Wireshark has now its GUI based on Qt and is available on Windows.

• Hey, thanks for the welcome, nice to know I am in the right place. :)

Yes, I know about the WIreShark, I have all of that source and its mention of QT is what brought me here. I have a decent C C++ 'experience' but I've not tried anything in QT yet. I'll load up some of the samples and see where it takes me.

I tried to just make a windows forms app in VisualStudio, and went to suck in the pcap code. Quickly learned that was a huge mistake. Their samples are great in a console but just not friendly, hence the port to the visual interface. Clearly I'm not ready to ask anything, code wise... yet.

Thanks again :)