Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

"Undefined symbols in architecture" Compile Error after Refactoring Directories



  • First of all, I've already checked out the other forum threads and stackoverflows on "Undefined symbols in architecture" errors but I felt that they didn't match my error.

    I recently started using Qt for a school project. Along the way I accumulated a bunch of #define macros that I grouped into several headers (.h files). But as the number of constants and macros grew and the number of header files grew, the header files began to cloud the workspace (i.e. the source code).

    So following some examples, I dividing the directory into two folders src and convenience. Directory Hierarchy

    But when building and running, I get this error:
    Compile Error The main.cpp file is under the src directory.

    I'm using Qt Creator 4.6.0 on a MacOS High Sierra v10.13.4.

    Any help would be appreciated.


  • Qt Champions 2019

    @ResistorInTheDark How do your pro files look? Did you rerun qmake and rebuild?
    In C++ you should not use #define for constants that much :-)
    Use const instead and put your constants in name spaces.



  • @jsulm
    QtCombinedApp .pro file:

    TEMPLATE = subdirs
    
    SUBDIRS = src convenience
    CONFIG   += ordered
    
    

    convenience .pro file:

    SOURCES += \
        conveniencefile.cpp
    
    HEADERS += \
        appdisplay.h \
        appfont.h \
      (and several other files)
    

    src .pro file:

    QT       += core gui sql
    
    greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets
    
    TARGET = QtCombinedApp
    TEMPLATE = app
    DEFINES += QT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS
    
    SOURCES += \
        main.cpp \
        mainwindow.cpp \
        (other .cpp source files)
    
    HEADERS += \
        mainwindow.h \
        (other .h source files)
    
    RESOURCES += \
        images.qrc
    

    I also tried running qmake, no errors, I believe. I also tried deleting previous builds and rebuilding but that didn't work and generated the linker error.



  • @jsulm
    Actually, I just got it to work.
    Apparently I had to set Template = lib and Target = QtCombinedApp.
    I took your other advice and switched over to namespaces and const.

    Thanks for your help and quick reply!



  • @ResistorInTheDark if your issue is solved, please mark your post as such. Thanks.



  • @Pablo-J.-Rogina
    Done, thanks for the tip. :-)


Log in to reply