Error in toolchain.prf when building new project

• I'm a new user, trying to build a new, empty project.
    Using Qt Creator 4.6.0.
    The project is a Qt Widgets Application for desktop.
    Here's an image of the kit I'm using for the build:
    0_1523939775974_Screenshot - 16-Apr-18 , 22_23_24.png
    I'm getting an error when building it, and here's an image of the error:
    0_1523939854600_Screenshot - 16-Apr-18 , 22_26_29.png
    If I use MinGW 32bit kit, it seems to work. But with MSVC2017 64bit, I'm getting the error. I have no idea what it is doing at the point of error, as I am completely new to using Qt. Any ideas on how I can get it to build without error?

• Moderators

@glarson Can you go to "Compile Output" (tab 5 at the bottom) and copy paste the whole build log here?

• Thanks, here is my Compile Output:

08:21:50: Running steps for project MyTestApp...
    08:21:50: Starting: "G:\Qt\5.10.1\msvc2017_64\bin\qmake.exe" G:\documents\programming\QtTraining\MyTestApp\MyTestApp.pro -spec win32-msvc "CONFIG+=debug" "CONFIG+=qml_debug"
    G:/Qt/5.10.1/msvc2017_64/mkspecs/features/toolchain.prf:208: Extra characters after test expression.
    Project ERROR: Compiler produced empty value for Active.
    08:21:50: The process "G:\Qt\5.10.1\msvc2017_64\bin\qmake.exe" exited with code 3.
    Error while building/deploying project MyTestApp (kit: Desktop Qt 5.10.1 MSVC2017 64bit)
    When executing step "qmake"
    08:21:50: Elapsed time: 00:00.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Can you show the content of toolchain.prf:208 ?

• @SGaist It won't let me upload a whole file yet, but if you look at my 2nd image above, it shows precisely where the error occurred. That is in toolchain.prf. It is calling eval($$v).

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Sorry, I didn't had the image when I answered.

Looks pretty strange. Do you have Visual Studio installed in the standard location ?

Can you modify toolchain.prf and add message("Test: $$v) before line 208 too see what might be giving that error ?

• @SGaist I did as you said, and the message it printed was "Active code page: 65001".

Very strange - then I recalled that some time ago I added something to my registry to set the code page of my command prompt windows to 65001:

I had followed the instructions in this YouTube video, which had me put an autorun instruction into my registry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6HA_sebDZ4

So I have just removed that item from the registry, and now the project builds and runs!

So thank you and jsulm for your help on this. Cheers! ☕
    It was such an obscure thing.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Glad you found out and thanks for sharing !

Happy coding :)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.