Framework headers

• I am attempting to include a non-Qt framework into a standard Qt Gui application project. I have included in my .pro file:
    LIBS += -F</Users/myname/Macintosh_HD/Library/Frameworks -framework <ExternalFramework.framework>
    AND
    #include "externalframeworkheader.hpp"
    IN MY main.cpp FILE.
    I also right-clicked on my project directory to "Add Existing Files" and added the externalframeworkheader.hpp file (though this process actually added the folder with its path that contains the externalframeworkheader.hpp file that I am trying to include, not just the externalframeworkheader.hpp file alone), but this addition also did not get rid of my single "'csound.hpp' file not found" error.
    After those techniques I still get the same 1 single error:
    'externalframeworkheader.hpp' file not found
    Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

What framework is that ?
    Where did you get it from ?

• The framework's real name is CsoundLib64.framework. Sorry for any confusion. I got it from the csound website "csounds.com" when I downloaded the "csound-develop" developer tools, version 6.10.0 from there.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -F/path/to/folder/containing/the/framework
    LIBS += -F/path/to/folder/containing/the/framework -framework CsoundLib64

The first line is to generate the include path that allows you to write #include <CsoundLib64/csound.h>
    The second is for the linking.

• The only error I got after I added your two lines of code is:
    'CsoundLib64/csound.h' file not found
    I entered '#include <CsoundLib64/csound.h>' at the top of my mainwindow.h file but the compiler doesn't seem to be picking it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Not knowing how your project is made, try with QMAKE_CFLAGS in place of QMAKE_CXXFLAGS.

• I tried your C based technique but I'm still getting the same ''CsoundLib64/csound.h' file not found' error. I think the problem might actually be because the path to the CsoundLIb64.framework is this:
    ../CsoundLib64.framework/Headers/csound.h
    NOT CsoundLib64.framework/csound.h.
    This is a simple problem but I haven't found an alternate path and include pair for my .pro and mainwindow.h files. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

• I fixed the immediate problem but I am working with a toolset that is new to me so there's a chance I'll be back in this forum sometime relatively soon. Thank you very much for your help.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

No it's not, macOS framework headers are expected to be found in the Headers subfolder and should be included using the #include <FrameworkName/includename.h> statement.

Please show your .pro file.

From what you wrote I suspect you are using relative paths to source folder which is not a good idea. Use $$PWD if you are doing that to ensure that tools get a the full path to where your framework is.

• @SGaist
    Here is my .pro file starting with the sources:
    SOURCES +=
    main.cpp
    mainwindow.cpp

HEADERS +=
    mainwindow.h
    ../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation/portaudio.h
    ../5.10.1/Src/qtbase/examples/NewBuildLocation/portmidi.h
    ../5.10.1/Src/qtbase/examples/qmake/NewBuildLocation/porttime.h
    ../CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Headers/csound.hpp \

FORMS +=
    mainwindow.ui

LIBS += -lportmidi
    -lportaudio

QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -F~/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Headers
    LIBS += -F~/Library/Frameworks -framework CsoundLib64

macx: LIBS += -L$$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation/ -lportmidi

INCLUDEPATH += $$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation
    DEPENDPATH += $$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation

macx: LIBS += -L$$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation/ -lportaudio

INCLUDEPATH += $$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation
    DEPENDPATH += $$PWD/../5.10.1/clang_64/NewBuildLocation

mac: LIBS += -F$$PWD/../../../../Library/Frameworks/ -framework CsoundLib64

INCLUDEPATH += $$PWD/../../../../Library/Frameworks
    DEPENDPATH += $$PWD/../../../../Library/Frameworks

When I attempt to #include csound.hpp into my .pro file, w/control-right-click "Add existing files" Qt Creator generates, what I think is, a RELATIVE path shown above in the last line of the "HEADERS" section of my .pro file shown above as
    ../CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Headers/csound.hpp
    When I attempt to include an existing library into my .pro file, CsoundLib64.framework here, w/control-right-click "Add libraries"
    Qt Creator generates, what I think is, an ABSOLUTE path shown above as
    mac: LIBS += -F$$PWD/../../../../Library/Frameworks/ -framework CsoundLib64
    in the last section of my .pro file.

These are the two techniques I used to implement the necessary library/framework and header files into my .pro file.
    When including csound.hpp into my main.cpp file I use
    #include <CsoundLib64.framework/csound.hpp>
    at the top of my main.cpp (where my actual code implementation goes - left out here), I get the error:
    'CsoundLib64.framework/csound.hpp' file not found
    When I change my main.cpp #includeS to
    #include <CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Headers/csound.hpp>
    or
    #include <CsoundLib64.framework/Headers/csound.hpp>
    which are two ways to #include my csound.hpp header fIle, that (might) complement my .pro file above I get these two errors:
    symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64 &
    linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    I know that the second error means that something in my project isn't linking, but I don't know what the second error implies.
    Any assistance with these build errors and information of Qt build processes in general would be greatly appreciated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Don't use the ~ that's a bash shortcut that must be interpreted.

Then your -F value is wrong, you have to put there the path to the folder that contains the .framework you want to use. It's an equivalent of the -L parameter for libraries.

• @SGaist
    I have fixed the problem - I'm now implementing the tools that I have wanted to implement without any long lasting errors. I just started a new project over and doing that led me to solve my problems (along with your techniques & guidance) though I would like to leave it out of this context here in the forum.
    Thank you for your time and patience.
    Patrick

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.