Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Real time renderer with QT sporadic time

• Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a real time renderer, here are some informations :

• it works at 50p (20ms for each frame)
    • the render loop is not a QThread for technical reasons

The problem I'm facing is that the encoding library usually encode a frame in less that 10ms, but when I run it with the QT environment each 12 frames the encoding time rise to more than 60ms (roughly every 250 ms). It is a problem because some frames are dropped by the render loop. I tried to add a callback with QApplication::processEvents() in my render loop to see if it could smooth the sporadic time every 12 frames, it didn't work.

I don't have an extended knowledge of QT, so 2 questions :

• Do you know what could be the reason of this encoding time increase every 12 frames, QT is responsible but I don't know what it is doing ?
    • Do you know a better approach that could help me smooth the time over the rest of the encoded frame (encoding time is ok) ?

Thank you

Astar

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Might be event handling from your application.

In any case, you should consider offloading the encoding to a secondary thread even if it's not a QThread.

• actually the encoding is using 14 threads, it looks like it works better if I don't use them all (like 12)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    14 threads ?
    What cpu are you using ?
    often its 4 cores, 8 threads so having 14 would demand a hi end workstation
    class cpu to actually be able to run all of them at same time.
    (which might not be needed but its worth mentioning)

• Hi,

yes this is a High end worstation with a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v3 @ 2.60GHz,14 physical cores

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    That is some sweet hardware :)

Regarding the raise in encoding time. its very hard to guess at with no code.
    Could be anything.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Also what are you using for encoding ?
    Which size are the frames you want to encode ?