How to release memory in QTreeWidget.

• Hello I have a QTreeWidget, in which I add the items from a QThread it works well. Now If I am going to start QThread again, before it I called QTreeWidget::clear() , for clearing the tree to add new items. It works fine to clear the tree but not release the memory occupied by the QTreeWidgetItem. I tried

QTreeWidgetItemIterator itr(treeWidget);
    while(*itr)
    {
    delete (*itr);
    ++itr
    }

with QTreeWidget::clear();. So I want to know how can I release memory from QTreeWidget. Or How Can I properly delete QTreewidgetItem with memory release.

• Moderators

@rohit713 You should call deleteLater() on the item you want to free.
    Also you should never create/modify any UI related class instances in other thread than GUI thread!

• hii @jsulm thanks for responding. I am not updating gui from QThread. I just emit a signal from QThread when I search the item. Then this signal is connected to QMainWindow slots for adding items in QTreeWidget using QTreeWidgetItem *item = new QTreeWidgetItem(treeWidget)
    This new items called every time when thread got anything. Now the question is when I am going to start thread again. I have to release memory, consumed by QTreeWidgetItem. How can I use deleteLater().

• Moderators

@rohit713

while(*itr)
    {
     (*itr)->deleteLater();
    ++itr
    }

• @jsulm I tried this. But I got an error. class QTreeWidgetItem has no member named 'deleteLater' .

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.