Qt Maintenance Tool Failed to download metadata.

• Re: Maintenance Tool Fails to Update

I had the same problem for years. SdkRepoChooser helped for a time before but now it also stopped working. My repo urls are filled with old garbage, like countless qt 5.1/5.2/5.3/5.4/5.5 etc. repos for all platforms previews and such. It's almost impossible to use Qt Maintenance tool on my home ISP, though it works fine when I bring my laptop out.

And each time I have to spent 15+ minutes to manually uncheck hundreds of "temporary" and other garbage repos because there is no bulk unchecking. It's simply infuriating.

• Moderators

@flashmozzg said in Qt Maintenance Tool Failed to download metadata.:

Re: Maintenance Tool Fails to Update
    My repo urls are filled with old garbage, like countless qt 5.1/5.2/5.3/5.4/5.5 etc. repos for all platforms previews and such.

And each time I have to spent 15+ minutes to manually uncheck hundreds of "temporary" and other garbage repos

Hi @flashmozzg, I haven't seen these symptoms before. Could you please share a screenshot that shows these "temporary"/"garbage" repos?

Which mirror do you normally choose in the Qt SDK Repo Chooser?

• @JKSH I usually go with some random mirror and I think it always worked before. Now I have to manually "uncheck" half of the repos for obsolete qt version for maintenance tool to work.
    It looks like it somehow manages to "overload" my network with huge amount of requests (even regular pages can have trouble loading while qt mt tries to fetch metadata) but it's the only program that does that.

0_1517747021847_qtmt.png

• Moderators

Now I have to manually "uncheck" half of the repos for obsolete qt version for maintenance tool to work.

Thanks for your screenshot. I have the same "temporary repositories" as you.

Does the metadata finish downloading if you wait? Or does it abort halfway?

It looks like it somehow manages to "overload" my network with huge amount of requests (even regular pages can have trouble loading while qt mt tries to fetch metadata) but it's the only program that does that.

I'm very surprised to hear that. I have the opposite problem: I have lots of bandwidth available, but the metadata only gets downloaded at ~10 KiB/s. I wish it would try to overload my network, so that I get the metadata faster!

Try this:

1. Open Resource Monitor.
    2. Start downloading the metadata without unchecking the temporary repositories.
    3. Look at the "Network" tab of Resource Monitor.

How much network resources gets used by MaintenanceTool.exe?

• @JKSH said in Qt Maintenance Tool Failed to download metadata.:

Now I have to manually "uncheck" half of the repos for obsolete qt version for maintenance tool to work.

Thanks for your screenshot. I have the same "temporary repositories" as you.

Does the metadata finish downloading if you wait? Or does it abort halfway?

Just like in the thread I was replying to: it goes to around 50-80% and then fails to download some metadata 7z.

I'm very surprised to hear that. I have the opposite problem: I have lots of bandwidth available, but the metadata only gets downloaded at ~10 KiB/s. I wish it would try to overload my network, so that I get the metadata faster!

I also don't have any problems with bandwidth: the tool itself uses no more than 10 kB/s (judging by procmon, overall network usage is few hundreds kB/s until it drops), dropping to 0 by the end. And I'm on a 60 mB/s wired connection. The tool itself opens almost 1.5k tcp connections to 77.86.229.90 though I don't think that this should be problematic by itself.

Also, I found the related bug https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTIFW-835 (but unfortunately no solution except use repo chooser which in my case stopped helping).

• Moderators

I usually go with some random mirror and I think it always worked before.

Some mirrors are better for you than others, so I wonder if you just picked some bad ones recently...

Try the master.qt.io mirror. Does that let you finish downloading metadata without having to uncheck the "temporary repositories"?

• @JKSH said in Qt Maintenance Tool Failed to download metadata.:

I usually go with some random mirror and I think it always worked before.

Some mirrors are better for you than others, so I wonder if you just picked some bad ones recently...

Try the master.qt.io mirror. Does that let you finish downloading metadata without having to uncheck the "temporary repositories"?

After a few tries and after I've unchecked "use temp repos only" I think It finally worked. Not sure if it will last. Also this option is grayed out now so I'm not sure what to do to enable it back. Definitely not a pleasant experience.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.