Cannot run make

• Hello,

I have been using Qtcreator for a while without problem. However I haven't create new project since a while. Today I wanted to create a c++ library. So I created the project and tried to compile it (just like it's created without wriote anything yet), I got the error:
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQt5Sql
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQt5Core
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    I went to the directory where the make file is created and ran make. Same error.
    make
    rm -f libproperties.so.1.0.0 libproperties.so libproperties.so.1 libproperties.so.1.0
    g++ -m32 -shared -Wl,-soname,libproperties.so.1 -o libproperties.so.1.0.0 properties.o -lQt5Sql -lQt5Core -lpthread
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQt5Sql
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQt5Core
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Makefile:142: recipe for target 'libproperties.so.1.0.0' failed
    make: *** [libproperties.so.1.0.0] Error 1

I went to the building dir of a previous project and ran make there to see if there is any differences and noticed the call to Qt libraries is different:
    g++ -m32 -o get_properties main.o set_properties.o -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/Qt5Sql -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/Qt5Core -lpthread

If instead of run make I ran directly the h++ line with the "previous" path it works.
    g++ -m32 -shared -Wl,-soname,libproperties.so.1 -o libproperties.so.1.0.0 properties.o -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/Qt5Sql -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/Qt5Core -lpthread

so I understand something is wrong in the "new" makefile. But I don't now how qtcreator manage it.

Any help?

Thanks

• Hi @laetis,

I guess you use QMake to build your projects? So qmake creates the Makefile and then make builds your program.

You have already investigated a lot, and from your information I'd say the Kit (combination of Compiler, Qt version and Debugger) you use to build your library is corrupted.

When you first create a project, a projects settings screen should appear. You can get it later by clicking the Projects icon at the left bar or pressing Ctrl+5.

Maybe you can post a picture what you see there? This should give a hint what's going on.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Might be a silly question but did you install the Qt dev packages from your distribution ?

• @aha_1980
    Hi,
    I looked in projects part and indeed the qmake path is different:
    qmake: qmake test.pro -r -spec linux-g++-32 CONFIG+=debug for the not working
    qmake: qmake ChemAliveMolOpt2_0.pro -r -spec linux-g++-64 CONFIG+=debug for the working.
    How can I change that?

• Hi @laetis,

Repeating myself:

When you first create a project, a projects settings screen should appear. You can get it later by clicking the Projects icon at the left bar or pressing Ctrl+5.

Maybe you can post a picture what you see there? This should give a hint what's going on.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Do you have a 32bit version of Qt installed ?

From the looks of it, you are trying to build a 32bit application on a 64bit Linux installation.

• @SGaist
    Indeed I have a 64bit installation not a 32. What I don't know is how to tell Qtcreator to not try do a 32bit app...

• Moderators

@laetis said in Cannot run make:

What I don't know is how to tell Qtcreator to not try do a 32bit app

Select your 64bit Kit

• @jsulm Found it. thanks! Works fine now.

• @laetis Ok, then please mark this thread as solved.

Thanks.

• @aha_1980 how?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The "Topic Tools" button.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.