match font family return from QFont::toString()

• so i have a QFont which i convert to QString using toString() which returns something like "Console,12,-2,5,50,0,0,0,0,0". i need to parse this to get the font family. so i tried this regex: ^([^,]*)
    which works on this website: https://regex101.com/r/rXDN3L/1, but not in my code. what can be the reason?

• Moderators

@user4592357 said in match font family return from QFont::toString():

what can be the reason?

your code probably.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Please, show your code and the Qt version you are using. This expression works both with QRegularExpression (which you should be using) and the deprecated QRegExp.

• i'm using qt4. here's the code:

#include <iostream>

#include <QApplication>
    #include <QString>
    #include <QRegExp>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
        QApplication app(argc, argv);

QString font = "Console,12,-2,5,50,0,0,0,0,0";
        QRegExp fontFamilyRegExp("^([^,]*)");
        if(fontFamilyRegExp.exactMatch(font)) {
            std::cout << fontFamilyRegExp.cap(1).toStdString(); // should return "Courier" but doesn't
        }

return app.exec();
    }

• Qt Champions 2016

Why are you doing this?
    What you've shown is the internal (serialized) representation of a font and you shouldn't mess with it directly. Also, since I did a bit of work on the fonts several months ago I can tell you that string also has different versions. Unless you intend to hack into Qt's core and support all those then you should adopt another approach.

Use QFont::fromString to get a QFont instance from the string and then you can query the family simply by QFont::family.

PS. Unless there's a very specific reason to use Qt 4 you ought to update your code and use Qt 5.

• yes there is a reason why i use qt4.

well, that worked, thanks.

but anyways i wonder how i could do that with regexps. also, how could i get the second argument (which is returned pointSIze() analogously to family()) with regexp? i've tried things and none worked

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Here's your problem: exactMatch, you don't have an exact match since you only want to capture the first part of the string.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.