Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

match font family return from QFont::toString()

• so i have a QFont which i convert to QString using toString() which returns something like "Console,12,-2,5,50,0,0,0,0,0". i need to parse this to get the font family. so i tried this regex: ^([^,]*)
    which works on this website: https://regex101.com/r/rXDN3L/1, but not in my code. what can be the reason?

• Moderators

@user4592357 said in match font family return from QFont::toString():

what can be the reason?

your code probably.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Please, show your code and the Qt version you are using. This expression works both with QRegularExpression (which you should be using) and the deprecated QRegExp.

• i'm using qt4. here's the code:

#include <iostream>

#include <QApplication>
    #include <QString>
    #include <QRegExp>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
        QApplication app(argc, argv);

QString font = "Console,12,-2,5,50,0,0,0,0,0";
        QRegExp fontFamilyRegExp("^([^,]*)");
        if(fontFamilyRegExp.exactMatch(font)) {
            std::cout << fontFamilyRegExp.cap(1).toStdString(); // should return "Courier" but doesn't
        }

return app.exec();
    }

• Qt Champions 2017

Why are you doing this?
    What you've shown is the internal (serialized) representation of a font and you shouldn't mess with it directly. Also, since I did a bit of work on the fonts several months ago I can tell you that string also has different versions. Unless you intend to hack into Qt's core and support all those then you should adopt another approach.

Use QFont::fromString to get a QFont instance from the string and then you can query the family simply by QFont::family.

PS. Unless there's a very specific reason to use Qt 4 you ought to update your code and use Qt 5.

• yes there is a reason why i use qt4.

well, that worked, thanks.

but anyways i wonder how i could do that with regexps. also, how could i get the second argument (which is returned pointSIze() analogously to family()) with regexp? i've tried things and none worked

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Here's your problem: exactMatch, you don't have an exact match since you only want to capture the first part of the string.