Strange selectionModel()->selectedRows() problem.

• Hi,

Can someone give me a heads up on why the following code would stop working after adding data to a SQL database?

QModelIndexList selectedRows = ui->equipmentTableWidget->selectionModel()->selectedRows();

This function is inside a slot that is called when the selections are changed. It returns the proper values until I add information to the table and update a SQL database. After that selectedRows.count() is always 0 until I exit the program and start over again. At this point it works fine but if I add another item to the table and database it starts returning 0 again.

Using windows 7 with QT 5.9.1 and minGW compiler.

Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Can you show the code you wrote that interacts with the model and database ?

• Hi,

Here is the code that calls the dialog and adds to the database.

void MainWindow::processNewEquipment()
    {
        equipmentDialog dialog;

if(dialog.exec() == dialog.Accepted) {
            QSqlQuery sql;
            sql.prepare(EQUIPMENT_TABLE_INSERT);
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentID", dialog.getEquipmentID());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentDescription", dialog.getEquipmentDescription());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentIDNumber", dialog.getEquipmentIDNumber());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentPurchaseMileage", dialog.getEquipmentPurchaseMileage());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentCurrentMileage", dialog.getEquipmentCurrentMileage());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentCurrentOperator", dialog.getEquipmentCurrentOperator());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentPurchasePrice", dialog.getEquipmentPurchasePrice());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentExpenses", dialog.getEquipmentExpenses());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentIncomeGenerated", dialog.getEquipmentIncomeGenerated());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentLicenseNumber", dialog.getEquipmentLicenseNumber());
            sql.bindValue(":equipmentNotes", dialog.getEquipmentNotes());
            if(sql.exec()) {
                QMessageBox::information(this, "processNewEquipment", tr("New Equipment added to the database!"));
                loadEquipmentDatabase();
            }
            else QMessageBox::critical(this, tr("Error:: "), sql.lastError().text());
        }
    }

And this is the code that loads the table.

void MainWindow::loadEquipmentDatabase()
    {
        QSqlQueryModel * model = new QSqlQueryModel();
        QSqlQuery * sql = new QSqlQuery();

sql->prepare(EQUIPMENT_TABLE_READ_ALL);
        if(sql->exec()) {
            model->setQuery(*sql);
            ui->equipmentTableWidget->setModel(model);
        }
        else QMessageBox::critical(this, tr("Error::"), sql->lastError().text());
    }

Thnks

• After further testing, it has something to do with the second call to loadEquipmentDatbase(); if I comment out that line it still works fine just the table is not updated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Each time you call loadEquipmentDatabase you create a new model, why ? Just replace the query. By the way why are you allocating the QSqlQuery object on the heap ?
    By the way, why not call model->setQuery(EQUIPMENT_TABLE_READ_ALL) ?

• When I did research on filling a QTableWidget from SQL that is what I come up with. Can you provide an example on how to do this correctly?

• just

• move QSqlQueryModel * model = new QSqlQueryModel(); and ui->equipmentTableWidget->setModel(model); in the constructor
    • change model->setQuery(*sql); to ui->equipmentTableWidget->model()->setQuery(sql);
    • change QSqlQuery * sql = new QSqlQuery(); to QSqlQuery sql;

• Hi and thanks for the info, however ui->equipmentTableWidget->model()->setQuery(sql); generates the following error.

error: 'class QAbstractItemModel' has no member named 'setQuery'
         ui->equipmentTableWidget->model()->setQuery(EQUIPMENT_TABLE_READ_ALL);
                                            ^

So what I did was per your advice moved the suggested code to the constructor. then in my loadEquipmentDatabase() function I placed

QSqlQueryModel *model = qobject_cast<QSqlQueryModel*>(ui->equipmentTableWidget->model());
        if(model)
            model->setQuery(EQUIPMENT_TABLE_READ_ALL);

Not sure if that is the proper way but it works as expected now.

Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.