[Solved] QUdpSocket binding issue

• I have been using Qt for desktop applications programming for a quite long time, but I am totally a newbie in network programmings. Recently I am developing a program to remotely control my Sony camera via WIFI.

According to the official API document, I need to use SSDP to discover the camera and get the LOCATION, which is an address where API commands sent. I use a QUdpSocket object to send SSDP request, but I never got complete reply from the server. This problem has puzzled me for a couple of days. Fortunately, finally I fixed it by myself. I post it here. Hope someone who are also as newbie as I know how to do when encountering the same problem. Below is the description:

My first attempt is this:

QHostAddress hostAddress = QHostAddress("239.255.255.250");
    int SSDP_HOST = 1900;
    QUdpSocket *udpSocket = new QUdpSocket(this);
    udpSocket->bind(hostAddress, SSDP_PORT);
    udpSocket->joinMulticastGroup(hostAddress);
    connect(udpSocket, SIGNAL(readyRead()), this, SLOT(processPendingDatagrams()));

By doing this way, I will never get complete reply from the host. Like this:

SSDP request M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
    HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
    MAN: "ssdp:discover"
    MX: 1
    ST: urn:schemas-sony-com:service:ScalarWebAPI:1

At the beginning, I totally have no idea how to debug. I thought I missed some step to setup the network configuration, but actually it was not. Then I looked the example provided in the help document, and found in the example code, the udpSocket did not bind to the host address. So I revised my code as this:

QHostAddress hostAddress = QHostAddress("239.255.255.250");
    int SSDP_HOST = 1900;
    QUdpSocket *udpSocket = new QUdpSocket(this);
    udpSocket->bind(QHostAddress::AnyIPv4, SSDP, QUdpSocket::SharedAddress);
    udpSocket->joinMulticastGroup(hostAddress);
    connect(udpSocket, SIGNAL(readyRead()), this, SLOT(processPendingDatagrams()));

Then I got full response from the server (camera):
    NOTIFY * HTTP/1.1
    HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
    CACHE-CONTROL: max-age=1800
    NT: upnp:rootdevice
    NTS: ssdp:alive
    SERVER: FedoraCore/2 UPnP/1.0 MINT-X/1.8.1
    USN: uuid:000000001000-1010-8000-B272BF6D76E5::upnp:rootdevice

In conclusion, the lesson learned from this is this: If you want to use the same QUdpSocket object to send and receive UDP datagram to the client and from the server, you need to bind the QUdpSocket object to a different IP address, but the same port of the server's. Otherwise, you cannot get full reply.

Hope this could help others. Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.