Qt application with server

• Hello

I developed a Qt application. Now I need a server with a remote database to implement new features. I don't want that the application is directly connected with the remote database. Indeed I think it isn't the best way. Communication will be done in RESTful.

My quetion is how to implement the server. Should I necessarily do this with Qt or can I use other languages (for exemple java with tomcat) ... What are the differences between these two ways , a question of performance?

Thank you

• I always developed my server side component in Qt using QTcpServer with a "custom" communication protocol.
    But my applications don't need to communicate with 3rd party software.

To follow this way I started from the Fortune Example.

Honestly I don't know about performance but it works great.

• Thank you for your answer !
    I think I will do .... 2 server.

The first one in Qt (probably with QTcpServer -> thx for your link). My app will be always connected with it.

The second server will offer an API rest and it will use a database.

2 servers because later there will be a web application.

My app will use these two servers ...
    I don't know if it's a good practice, Lack of experience ...

What do you think about it ? Thx

• I have similar situation.
    My App talk with the server using QTcpSocket/Server .
    The same server (and same application) provide rest like service using QtWebApp for web clients.
    I put both service on the same server application to share the same logic/code but you can also develop 2 independent services to optimize the load from different clients.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

You also have the cutelyst project that might be of interest.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.