TCP Socket problem

• Working on a program that gets information from a telnet connection to a web server. Works fine unless I lose connection or the web server was not ready.
    To solve this i created a button a dialog and this dialog calls at the parent function to connect. I tested this button with just a message on the connect function and works fine. When i put the code to connect i get a segmentation error at connectToHost() function of the socket.
    Here is the code on the main window:

• bool PowerMonitor::connectToServer()
      {
      socket->connectToHost(data->getHostIp(),data->getPort());
      if(socket->waitForConnected(3000)==true)
      {
      data->setSystemConnected(true); // Need to add handling for fail connection
      ui->statusBar->showMessage("Connected to:"+data->getHostIp()+" Port:"+QString::number(data->getPort()));
      }
      else
      {
      data->setSystemConnected(false);
      QMessageBox::warning(this,"Connection","Could not find Sensors");
      ui->statusBar->showMessage("No Connection");
      }
      return true;
      }*

This is the code from the Child Dialog:

• void SystemDataDisplay::on_reconnect_clicked()
      {
      PowerMonitor pmonitor = qobject_cast<PowerMonitor>(parent());
      pmonitor->connectToServer();
      }

My hunch is something to do with calling connectToHost() function for the second time. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help

• After running using the debugger, i understand what is going on.
    When i'm creating the QDialog object from the main program I was using the following :

• SystemDataDisplay systemdatadisplay;
      systemdatadisplay.setData(data);
      systemdatadisplay.exec();

Thus, i was not passing the address of the parent to the child. This was solved like this:
    SystemDataDisplay systemdatadisplay(this);
    systemdatadisplay.setData(data);
    systemdatadisplay.exec();

No it works fine

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Glad you found out but that design is pretty bad. You are creating a tight coupling where none is needed.

If you want that dialog to trigger something in your other widget, then just give that dialog a signal and connect it before calling exec.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.