Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

External WM_DESTROY issue

• Hi! My application has Log window and Test window (main window), when I close the app I get the following error: External WM_DESTROY received for QWidgetWindow(0x2c9235f1890, name="LogWindow") , parent: QWindow(0x0) , transient parent: QWidgetWindow(0x2c920b375a0, name="TestClassWindow")

Code:

Log *appLog;
    appLog = new Log(this);
    appLog->show();

I delete Log class object in the destructor.

Test::~Test()
    {
        delete appLog;
    }

I can't use setAttribute(Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose); function because it will delete the collected log, and it won't be available when open Log window again. How to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

• @Cobra91151

Hi,

You create it with parent, which mean it gets deleted automatically with the parent. And your delete appLog then deletes it a second time.

-Michael.

• @m.sue

The issue is still present even when removing delete appLog; from destructor.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Did you check whether you have other cases of multiple deletion in your code ?

• @SGaist

Yes. It was the only one. I think the problem is with Qt 5.7.1. I can't switch to the latest because it doesn't support Win XP.

On Qt 5.8 or Qt 5.9 when deploying the app, it throws the following error:

0_1498158164381_error.jpg

I can't find where in the Qt source files it calls the GetUserPrefferrdUILanguages function?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

If you want to run on XP, stay with the latest Qt 5.6 release.

• @SGaist

Deployment also works on Qt 5.7.1 on Win XP. Anyway, the current issue is with External WM_DESTROY message. Windows can send this message in both cases:

• I delete Log object twice
    • Qt doesn't delete it as parent

• @SGaist

I have fixed this issue by checking Log object for nullptr and emitting signal from QCloseEvent function and connect to the slot Log::deleteLater. So now it deletes when app closes.