Setting font to QLabel failled

• Hi,
    I have a widget with a QLabel and a QLineEdit and I want to be able to modify the font of the QLineEdit without affecting the QLabel font. So I reimplemented the setFont of the widget. I've first try to only apply the new font to the line edit, but if I don't call the base class implementation (QWidget::setFont()) it bugs and nothing is displayed (neither QLabel, neither QLineEdit).
    So I've change to call the base class implementation in my implementation, which makes both QLineEdit and QLabel font change.
    So I saved the QLabel original font before and reapply it after... It does'nt work neither. But if I specify a static font it works.
    Code exemple:

class MyWidget: public QWidget
    {
      virtual void setFont(const QFont& font);
    private:
      QLineEdit* lineedit;
      QLabel* label;
    }

first case:

void MyWidget::setFont(const QFont& newFont)
    {
       lineedit->setFont(newFont);
    }//nothing is displayed

second case:

{
       QFont f = label.font();                //storing label font
       QWidget::setFont(font);           //applying new font to the whole widget
       label->setFont(f);                      //applying back its original font to label
    }//label font is set to newFont and not to f

third case:

{
       QFont f("Times", 8);                   //creating a local variable font
       label->setFont(f);                      //applying the local font to label
    }//label font is set to  f

this is working in the third case, but I would like to keep the original font of label and not code it in a static way in case the general style of the application change.
    Any idea?

• You overcomplicated the issue a lot. just call lineedit->setStyleSheet("font: bold italic large "Times New Roman");

• @VRonin said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

You overcomplicated the issue a lot. just call lineedit->setStyleSheet("font: bold italic large "Times New Roman");

I personally am not a fan of setting fonts via stylesheet.

For example, what if you want an option to change the font size in your app via a QSpinbox, so the elderly can read your texts too :-)

You have to create a StyleSheet as a QString, insert the new fontsize into it, and apply it to all effected Objects/Widgets.

Or am I wrong here?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Just a side note, the setFont method is not virtual so your code is hiding the base class implementation thus you won't have the results you expect.

• @H_V_ Just In case, my customize function name first character is capitalized. like Class::SetFont(...). qt inner function Class::setFont(...);

• @VRonin How can i set a stylesheet that depend on a font that is choose by the user? Because your solution seems a bit static to me...

• @SGaist I agree, that's why I call the QWidget::setFont

• How can i set a stylesheet that depend on a font that is choose by the user?

#include <QStringBuilder>
        QString fontStyleString(const QFont& fnt){
            const QString baseStr= QStringLiteral("font-family: \"") % fnt.family()
                    % QStringLiteral("\";font-weight: ") % (fnt.bold() ? QStringLiteral("bold") : QStringLiteral("normal"))
                     % QStringLiteral(";font-size: ") % QString::number(fnt.pointSizeF(),'f') % "pt"
                    % QStringLiteral(";font-style: ");
            switch (fnt.style()){
            case QFont::StyleItalic:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("italic");
            case QFont::StyleOblique:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("oblique");
            default:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("normal");
            }
        }

• @VRonin Thanks, it works perfectly.
    But I'm a bit curious on why my method works with the local variable and not with the stored value. If someone has an explaination I would be grateful...

• @H_V_ said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

But I'm a bit curious on why my method works with the local variable and not with the stored value. If someone has an explaination I would be grateful...

strange indeed. funnily enough this works:

const QString f = label->font().toString();                //storing label font
    QFont tmpFont;
    tmpFont.fromString(f);
       label->setFont(tmpFont);  

• Ok, I'm so sorry guys, I think I was clearly not awake enough.
    After more investigation, it appears that the first described case works perfectly when you don't forget to clean your project :-s :

{
    lineedit->setFont(newFont);
    }

So sorry for wasting your time and thanks a lot for all your replies

• @VRonin said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

@H_V_ said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

strange indeed. funnily enough this works:

const QString f = label->font().toString();                //storing label font
    QFont tmpFont;
    tmpFont.fromString(f);
       label->setFont(tmpFont);  

Despite I found the solution, I'm still curious about that strange behavior (that appears even stranger after your post)... Have you found any explaination?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.