Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Setting font to QLabel failled

• Hi,
    I have a widget with a QLabel and a QLineEdit and I want to be able to modify the font of the QLineEdit without affecting the QLabel font. So I reimplemented the setFont of the widget. I've first try to only apply the new font to the line edit, but if I don't call the base class implementation (QWidget::setFont()) it bugs and nothing is displayed (neither QLabel, neither QLineEdit).
    So I've change to call the base class implementation in my implementation, which makes both QLineEdit and QLabel font change.
    So I saved the QLabel original font before and reapply it after... It does'nt work neither. But if I specify a static font it works.
    Code exemple:

class MyWidget: public QWidget
    {
      virtual void setFont(const QFont& font);
    private:
      QLineEdit* lineedit;
      QLabel* label;
    }

first case:

void MyWidget::setFont(const QFont& newFont)
    {
       lineedit->setFont(newFont);
    }//nothing is displayed

second case:

{
       QFont f = label.font();                //storing label font
       QWidget::setFont(font);           //applying new font to the whole widget
       label->setFont(f);                      //applying back its original font to label
    }//label font is set to newFont and not to f

third case:

{
       QFont f("Times", 8);                   //creating a local variable font
       label->setFont(f);                      //applying the local font to label
    }//label font is set to  f

this is working in the third case, but I would like to keep the original font of label and not code it in a static way in case the general style of the application change.
    Any idea?

• You overcomplicated the issue a lot. just call lineedit->setStyleSheet("font: bold italic large "Times New Roman");

• Moderators

@VRonin said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

You overcomplicated the issue a lot. just call lineedit->setStyleSheet("font: bold italic large "Times New Roman");

I personally am not a fan of setting fonts via stylesheet.

For example, what if you want an option to change the font size in your app via a QSpinbox, so the elderly can read your texts too :-)

You have to create a StyleSheet as a QString, insert the new fontsize into it, and apply it to all effected Objects/Widgets.

Or am I wrong here?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Just a side note, the setFont method is not virtual so your code is hiding the base class implementation thus you won't have the results you expect.

• @H_V_ Just In case, my customize function name first character is capitalized. like Class::SetFont(...). qt inner function Class::setFont(...);

• @VRonin How can i set a stylesheet that depend on a font that is choose by the user? Because your solution seems a bit static to me...

• @SGaist I agree, that's why I call the QWidget::setFont

• How can i set a stylesheet that depend on a font that is choose by the user?

#include <QStringBuilder>
        QString fontStyleString(const QFont& fnt){
            const QString baseStr= QStringLiteral("font-family: \"") % fnt.family()
                    % QStringLiteral("\";font-weight: ") % (fnt.bold() ? QStringLiteral("bold") : QStringLiteral("normal"))
                     % QStringLiteral(";font-size: ") % QString::number(fnt.pointSizeF(),'f') % "pt"
                    % QStringLiteral(";font-style: ");
            switch (fnt.style()){
            case QFont::StyleItalic:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("italic");
            case QFont::StyleOblique:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("oblique");
            default:
                return baseStr % QStringLiteral("normal");
            }
        }

• @VRonin Thanks, it works perfectly.
    But I'm a bit curious on why my method works with the local variable and not with the stored value. If someone has an explaination I would be grateful...

• @H_V_ said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

But I'm a bit curious on why my method works with the local variable and not with the stored value. If someone has an explaination I would be grateful...

strange indeed. funnily enough this works:

const QString f = label->font().toString();                //storing label font
    QFont tmpFont;
    tmpFont.fromString(f);
       label->setFont(tmpFont);  

• Ok, I'm so sorry guys, I think I was clearly not awake enough.
    After more investigation, it appears that the first described case works perfectly when you don't forget to clean your project :-s :

{
    lineedit->setFont(newFont);
    }

So sorry for wasting your time and thanks a lot for all your replies

• @VRonin said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

@H_V_ said in Setting font to QLabel failled:

strange indeed. funnily enough this works:

const QString f = label->font().toString();                //storing label font
    QFont tmpFont;
    tmpFont.fromString(f);
       label->setFont(tmpFont);  

Despite I found the solution, I'm still curious about that strange behavior (that appears even stranger after your post)... Have you found any explaination?