Private slots

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi,
    I have been able to make use of "truly" private slots through the pointer to member syntax with lambdas. However, it starts to clutter unrelated parts of my code, which I would want to avoid. Consider for example this constructor:

AedWoodsSaxonOperator::AedWoodsSaxonOperator(QObject * parent)
        : AedOperator(new AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate(this), parent)
    {
        Q_D(AedWoodsSaxonOperator);

auto onNucleusChange = [this, d] (AedNucleus * nucleus) -> void {
            QObject::disconnect(d->nucleonsChanged);
            d->nucleonsChanged = QObject::connect(nucleus, &AedNucleus::nucleonsChanged, [this, d] (quint16 nucleons) -> void {
                d->radius = 1.25 * std::cbrt(nucleons);
            });
        };

QObject::connect(this, &AedOperator::modelChanged, this, [this, d, onNucleusChange] (AedModel * model) -> void {
            onNucleusChange(model->nucleus());

QObject::disconnect(d->nucleusChanged);
            d->nucleusChanged = QObject::connect(model, &AedModel::nucleusChanged, this, onNucleusChange);
        });
    }

It contains code that's completely unrelated to initialization and I'd love to move it out of there (ideally I'd place it in the private class). So what are my options? Am I stuck to Q_PRIVATE_SLOT and the old syntax?

Thanks in advance.

• Probably I got this question completely wrong but Q_DECLARE_PUBLIC(x) contains friend class x; so from the private part can't you access the private slot directly through the q pointer?

• Qt Champions 2016

I think you misunderstand me. I mean the following:
    I'd like to move this code into functions/slots inside the private class, not vice versa (it already is in the public class); the problem isn't accessing the public class from the private one. So currently I can attach lambdas but if I go with Q_PRIVATE_SLOT I'm stuck with the old connect syntax (as the private class isn't a QObject derived). Perhaps I'm missing something, hence the question ...

• Ok, now I get it (or at least I think I do).

you can use the method of the private class the same way you use a lambda (lambda is just a special case of the more general std::function call):

testprivate.h

#include <QObject>
    class TestCallSlotPrivate;
    class TestCallSlot : public QObject
    {
        Q_OBJECT
        Q_DECLARE_PRIVATE(TestCallSlot)
        Q_DISABLE_COPY(TestCallSlot)
    public:
        explicit TestCallSlot(QObject* parent = Q_NULLPTR);
        virtual ~TestCallSlot();
    protected:
        TestCallSlotPrivate* d_ptr;
    };

testprivate.cpp

#include "testprivate.h"
    #include <QTimer>
    #include <functional>
    class TestCallSlotPrivate{
        Q_DECLARE_PUBLIC(TestCallSlot)
        TestCallSlotPrivate(TestCallSlot* q)
            :q_ptr(q)
        {
            Q_ASSERT(q);
            QObject::connect(&m_privateTimer,&QTimer::timeout,q/*just gives context*/,std::bind(&TestCallSlotPrivate::privateSlot,this));
            m_privateTimer.start(300);
        }

TestCallSlot* q_ptr;
        QTimer m_privateTimer;
        void privateSlot(){
            qDebug("Slot Called");
        }
    };

TestCallSlot::TestCallSlot(QObject *parent)
        : QObject(parent)
        , d_ptr(new TestCallSlotPrivate(this))
    {
    }

TestCallSlot::~TestCallSlot(){
        delete d_ptr;
    }

• In your case:

AedWoodsSaxonOperator::AedWoodsSaxonOperator(QObject * parent)
        : AedOperator(new AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate(this), parent)
    {
        Q_D(AedWoodsSaxonOperator);

QObject::connect(this, &AedOperator::modelChanged, this, std::bind(&AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onModelChanged,d,std::placeholders::_1));
    }

void AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onNucleusChange(AedNucleus * nucleus){
    QObject::disconnect(nucleonsChanged);
    nucleonsChanged = QObject::connect(nucleus, &AedNucleus::nucleonsChanged, q_func(), std::bind(&AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onNucleonsChanged,this,std::placeholders::_1));
    }

void AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onNucleonsChanged(quint16 nucleons){
    radius = 1.25 * std::cbrt(nucleons);
    }

void AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onModelChanged(AedModel * model){
    onNucleusChange(model->nucleus());
    QObject::disconnect(nucleusChanged);
    nucleusChanged = QObject::connect(model, &AedModel::nucleusChanged, q_func(), std::bind(&AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onNucleusChange,this,std::placeholders::_1));
    }

• Qt Champions 2016

Well I am a dumb ass! This should work fine. Thanks, Luca!

• @kshegunov said in Private slots:

Well I am a dumb ass!

You most definitely are not.

Final question. Did you end up using std::bind or did you manage to find a way to use pre-C++11 function pointers in this case?

• Qt Champions 2016

@VRonin said in Private slots:

Did you end up using std::bind or did you manage to find a way to use pre-C++11 function pointers in this case?

Yes, I used std::bind. If I'm not mistaken it creates a wrapper call around the function pointer, right. So:

std::bind(&AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onModelChanged,d,std::placeholders::_1)

Would expand to something like:

void (AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::*ptm)(AedModel *) = &AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::onModelChanged;
    [d, ptm] (AedModel * model) -> void {
        (d->*ptm)(model);
    }

Not that I can't do it manually, but I see no reason to bother with it. I use pre-C++11 pointer to member trickery in another place:

class AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate : public AedOperatorPrivate
    {
        Q_DECLARE_PUBLIC(AedWoodsSaxonOperator)

typedef qreal (AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::*OneBodyMatrixElement)(qint32, qint32);

public:
        // Definition is not provided and will never be. Just a forward declaration for the specializations.
        template <class Basis>
        qreal matrixElement(qint32, qint32);

protected:
        OneBodyMatrixElement oneBodyMatrixElement;
    };

Where that one is set like this:

void AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::basisChanged(AedBasis * basis)
    {
        if (dynamic_cast<AedCylindricalBasis *>(basis))
            oneBodyMatrixElement = &AedWoodsSaxonOperatorPrivate::matrixElement<AedCylindricalBasis>;
        else
            oneBodyMatrixElement = nullptr;
    }

This is relevant only for the private API (naturally) and the rationale is to forgo a second level of polymorphism and spare myself a virtual call, hopefully improving branch prediction. This one actually matters as it's called millions of times while for the one from the question above I don't care about any efficiency, it's called a handful of times.

PS.
    If you're curious, current code can be found here

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.